www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Skylon Pod?
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:35 pm 
Starfish

I would like to add a wakeboard tower to my 2001 180 Horizon, but do not want to spend $800-$1200 for one. With that being said, I have seen these Skylon Pods (see picture below) as a cheaper alternative. Looks like you drill a base plate into the sub floor and attach the two support arms to the gunnels at 45-60 degree angles. I am wondering if anyone on here has used one of these Pod systems and how it works for them. I am 6'3" and 205 lbs, so I want to make sure it will be strong enough for me. Also, I am wondering how much room it takes up in the interior of the boat. Is it always "in the way"? Any advise will be appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Skylon Pod?
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:02 pm 
email admin your custom rank

That appears like it's going to be in the way. Between walking around it, and avoiding the lines on the boat, might not be worth it. If you could find a tower for 800, I'd go for it. I haven't seen any that were under $5k!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:06 am 
Tadpole

The Skylon Pod is the better pod for the your boat which is specially designed to fit the boats and are also good for the water skiing. It has the best features which is quick and easy to install. It is a model which breaks down for the easy storage. It also has a self supporting with the two stainless steel arms.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:46 am 
Villiage Idiot

My bro-in-law has had one on his boat for years and NEVER uses it. It was good for it's intention, and he is also a big man. However, it's benefit is overshadowed by the strong tensioned cables running throughout the boat. It's a decapitation hazard, and just plain in the way. You simply cannot move around, nor move anything around when it is set up. I would go with an actual tower, and add the tower racks for board/ski storage.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:40 pm 
Guppy

There are large varieties of this are available. But you need to compromise with the cost. Cost provides you the comfort. Otherwise the quality gets on decreasing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:06 pm 
email admin your custom rank

The pole will be strong enough, but I can see it getting in the way on an open bow boat. My friend has one with a closed bow ski boat and it serves its purpose without being in the way. He had the tall section and never used it before this year after I got him hooked on the wakeskate.

Current boat: 2011 Yamaha AR210
Previous boat: 1998 Horizon RX 4.3GL SX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:14 am 
Tadpole

The design of a skyscraper FatPole is the idea in mind ... you huge air so that you can fly longer. Now, you can run as big as the professional tricks! After your first ride on this FatPole, you will know why the skyscraper in the skiing industry rating. The only drawback is climbing back to the swimming platform, boat - you have to climb or brace.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:21 pm 
Sting Ray

I used to waterski with a guy that had a ski pole set up on his boat like that. It was a closed bow competition style ski boat, so the front lines didnt get in the way. It slipped over the top of the lower center mount ski pole so it didnt have the rear supports. In his case it was fine as there was no impact to the open bow and no rear supports to get tangled in when getting ready to ski. Not sure exactly how your setup would be, but if it was similar to his I wouldn't waste the money on a tower and would rather go with the extended ski pole.

First Boat:
2000 Vista 268

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:59 pm 
Guppy

As per my knowledge, the Skylon Fat Pole was designed with one thought in mind to get you huge air so you can fly longer. So that you can perform the big tricks like the professionals. Here are some benefits:

- Quick and easy to install
- Hollow core for easy handling
- Ski eye for low line activities
- Breaks down for easy storage