www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:14 pm 
Goldfish

Any thoughts on how to tie the inflatable on the back of the boat? Yesterday we used an extra line and ran it through two of the hand-holds then to the cleats. Worked well, but would anyone recommend something other than lines? I was thinking bungee cords but they need to be the exact length so the tube doesn't hop around under way. The other thought was ratchet straps. We liked the positioning as the tube hung just off the swim platform, but left nearly all the sun deck cushions free.

Thanks,

...Neil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:36 pm 
Villiage Idiot

I occasionally store them on the swim deck with some adjustable bungee cords. Normally I inflate and deflate each time and store in the engine comp. For a short while I would put one tube on the "roof" with a bungee. Worked fine, but was afraid I would somehow forget about it.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:26 pm 
Shark

Neil,

When we are boating we put our tube so its on the sun deck with the rear hanging on the swim platform. I then run a long ratchet strap, without the ratchet and hook one end on the handles in the boat (near the rear seat) and through the handles on the tube and do a quick release knot on the other handle. I've used bungee cords and it work, but much wind can cause it to bounce. They sell some suction cups with straps to tie them off, but for $20 my old ratchet strap and knot work great.

When we tow I pull the tube all the way to the windshield and use the same strap to secure it to the front cleat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:06 pm 
email admin your custom rank

For the 1-2 person tubes, I use the Tubekeeper:

I will reposition the suction cups to be inside the boat with the tube upside down on the highway to keep the tube from flying away.

With the SuperMable, I deflate before heading home and will anchor it on the lake if we are doing other stuff.

Current boat: 2011 Yamaha AR210
Previous boat: 1998 Horizon RX 4.3GL SX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:28 pm 
Nauti Luv

robbo3 wrote:

I will reposition the suction cups to be inside the boat with the tube upside down on the highway to keep the tube from flying away.

With the SuperMable, I deflate before heading home and will anchor it on the lake if we are doing other stuff.

These suction cups actually work at highway speeds?

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:07 pm 

aguyindallas wrote:
These suction cups actually work at highway speeds?

Not as pictured. I put them in the smooth fiberglass channel between the seats and the side wall (around where the driver's cupholder is). Then I place the tube upside down with the bottom facing foward over the driver's/passenger seats.

My drive to the lake is 65 for 10 minutes, so I don't pull a long distance with them. However, they've always been secure.

Current boat: 2011 Yamaha AR210
Previous boat: 1998 Horizon RX 4.3GL SX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:29 pm 
2007 200 Horiz

We just use two bungee cords and slip one threw the tube handle and attach to the back cleats, one on each side and it works like a charm without any drag nor is it in the way for the back two jump seats...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:36 pm 

robbo3 wrote:

I too use the Tubekeeper... got it on clearance sale. I only use it to move about the lake when no one is on the tube or going in/out of a marina. I don't use it on the road however. I have a high capacity air pump that I use to to deflate the tube(s) and return them to the ski locker before leaving the water.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:14 pm 

I use fender lines (6' with pre-made loop). Run the line through the tube handle, through the loop, and tie off to the stern cleat with the tube hanging off the swim platform.

Previous:97 245 Sundowner 5.7GI/SX

Tow vehicle: 1986 GMC 2500 Camper Special 454/TH400

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:47 pm 

97_245_sd wrote:
I use fender lines (6' with pre-made loop). Run the line through the tube handle, through the loop, and tie off to the stern cleat with the tube hanging off the swim platform.

I do the same, just with a 12 foot rope with pre-made loop. It works well, and is relatively easy and quick. The suction cup things did not not work well on a friend's boat - and we had to retrieve our tube a couple times after it had fallen off, or to one side. Keeping it inflated and on the back of the boat at the end of the day allows for it tio dry before putting it away in the ski locker or elsewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:52 pm 

I also use the tubekeeper, but without the suction cups. I just run the straps through the handles and the stern cleats. I like the adjustable straps because we have a couple of floats we also bring with us to the sandbar now and then and I can easily adjust the straps for them.

Previous boats:
2009 H180 3.0VP
1996 Horizon QX 3.0VP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:13 pm 
Shark

+1 on the tube keeper stuff. Invaluable. Like others here, I don't use the suction cups, just run the bungee strap through the cleats.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:31 am 
Goldfish

I have the tube keeper and use the cleats. One issue i have found is that the tube will rest on the ladder top hinges that hang just out from the platform and could cause a rip. If I pull it up farther where the rear seats are covered, it avoids it, but then I am sorta defeating the purpose of keeping the tube out of the boat for extra room.

I may stick a small piece of foam over the metal just while transporting the tube.......

Misterbulbous wrote:
+1 on the tube keeper stuff. Invaluable. Like others here, I don't use the suction cups, just run the bungee strap through the cleats.

2008 H190 Four Winns (Volvo Penta 4.3L 225HP)
2009 Nissan Pathfinder
2002 Porsche Boxster.....recently SOLD :(

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:20 pm 
Shark

LakeMinnetonka wrote:
I have the tube keeper and use the cleats. One issue i have found is that the tube will rest on the ladder top hinges that hang just out from the platform and could cause a rip. If I pull it up farther where the rear seats are covered, it avoids it, but then I am sorta defeating the purpose of keeping the tube out of the boat for extra room.

I may stick a small piece of foam over the metal just while transporting the tube.......

Misterbulbous wrote:

I don't know if I'd worry too much about the abrasion from the hinges. Typically when I have my tube tied to the back (resting on the swim platform) I tend to cut down on my speed and just casually drive. Kids love the tube, but it can be a hassle at times. Also, the flat circular tubes are a lot easier to deal with than the ones where the person actually sits down in the center.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:06 pm 
Dolphin

I used to secure the inflated tube to the back of the boat (H190) but found it to be a hassle while towing and pleasure boating. As such, I purchased a 12V plug-in inflator/deflator for about $20. Best money I've spent in a while!

Now I keep the tube in the sole locker and inflate/deflate in a matter of minutes and many days, multiple times. I do let the deflated tube dry out a bit on the floor while we tool around and always at the end of the day.

No more straps, no more worries and the two minutes it takes to pump it up allows the kids time to get their life vests adjusted and argue about who goes next...