www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Double tubing
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:07 pm 
Seahorse

Seen a lot of people doing this and just wondering if theres any thing I need to watch out for well doing this

Post subject: Re: Double tubing
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:07 pm 
Dolphin

I have seen it lots too, even this weekend, it is potentially more dangerous, I would stick to the single tube and the excitement the next in line has knowing they get go next. The b-train tubes create an abundance of new dangers like the occupant(s) falling out of the first tube and getting hit by the second, or more commonly the second tube becomes more unpredictable largly resembling the old game called crack the whip, definately not a game for children, questionably even for seasoned swimmers wearing life jackets and helmets. If you do embark on this I would recommend not cranking the tunes and having a second spotter and a contingency plan for the occupants of the other tube while you are trying to perform an emergency rescue mission with occupants still in a tube behind you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:05 pm 
email admin your custom rank

When I see double tubing this is what comes to mind:

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:09 pm 
Seahorse

Well we gave her a try the kids had a blast the only problem I seen is when the line crossed over this could take your head off even more so at high speeds

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:10 pm 
Villiage Idiot

In about 10 years of double tubing, I've only once had an occupied tube land on another occupied tube.... and it was F-in hilarious (of course I was in the tube on top!). We've had un-occupied tubes fly around a bit a very few times, but then only when it's really windy.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:18 pm 
Goldfish

We've done double, triple, up to 7 at a time for years. Have never had any problems. I can't even Maine towing one at a time anymore. It definitely uses way more gas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:34 pm 
Shark

I'm sure everyone here would agree, but the inherent danger of single, double, etc., tubing is largely controlled by the boat captain. I've seen some crazy situations where the object of each tube rider seems to be which one can capsize the other tube, and of course there are situations where two tubes are simply being pulled at a safe pace and not being thrown around.

There was an accident at Lake Cumberland a few days ago. Sounds like it could have been much worse.

http://www.lex18.com/news/teenager-hurt ... umberland/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:22 pm 
Shark

Well that story sure seems like an example of how double tubing can go wrong. All the years I have been tubing with friends and families, I can't picture in my head how you can fall off a tube in a "forward manner" to get into the rope....unless it submarine d on him.

I remember when Iwas a kid, I was never afan of tubing......my friends dad that owned the boat, just refused to drive it in a manner that did not makeus skip across the water when we wiped out. he thought it was hilarious....I just remember it scaring the crap out of me and I never wanted to do it again......so much truth to the Captain has complete control of the good time behind the boat.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:52 pm 
Dolphin

Two words "Due Diligence" is a term we are all bound by, yet it doesn't even take in to account your friends and family which could be lost in a freak accident...I hate to have to be the party pooper, but at the Helm you are RESPONSIBLE for all abord, your vessel, and those its vicinity (warn others of potential dangers). Don't get me wrong I don't mind embarking in a solo base jump, or keeping my racecar to the wood when sideways (again solo), but when it comes to taking risks with others lives I don't only set the precident I set and ENFORCE my rules. I couldn't imagine the suffering many are faced with the needless loss of a loved one due to a fun event that seemed harmless, and was under the control of a seemingly responsible individual, nor would I place myself in the position to be at the helm performing questionable activities that inadvertantly caused the loss or a friend, loved one, or stranger for that matter. I don't plan on having to live with my personal disgust with myself...This is my opinion, and if you think it makes me a suck then flip me off, and yell profanities at me at the boat launch and we can trade bruises/cuts MMA style.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:08 am 
Goldfish

we do this all the time. We call it battle tubes and yes the point is to knock the other person off. One very important thing to do is to have the tube identical lengths from the boat. This means the rope is the same length and the lead on the front of the tube covers are the same length. otherwise you may end up with someone being clothlined by the other tube's rope. I was initially concerned that when the first rider falls off that they might knock into the other riders feet but it has never happened. I think with the boat going 20-25 mph that when the first rider falls of and hits the water they decelerate so quickly that the other person passes them up.
The tubes aren't constantly close enough that the two riders can actually touch each other at all times, so you wind up riding next to someone else that is within talking distance and you get to share in celebrating good jumps and good whips and you both usually say oh sh** at the same time when you see that your headed for that big wake from another boat. This has made for some fun spectacles like tubes landing on each other or jumping over each other. Also, we occasionally have one rider climb over onto the other person's back to pull them off. This is proabably the most dangerous since both riders are hitting the water together so if your looking for a place to reduce risk I would establish that this is not allowed. Otherwise. have fun. We do.

Here's a youtube video of a friend and I battling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLNKUjg ... ata_player

ps - it starts with a couple of stupid wipeouts while trying to steer the tube

300HP 5.7Gi Volvo Penta SX drive

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:31 am 
Starfish

Soooooo some of you think this "might" be a problem.

We too have taken it to the next level and with the right lake and the right driver, it can be really fun. It saves a lot of time pulling several kids at once and they have a blast. They don't even want to go by themselves anymore. Keep your ropes the same length, keep the speed down, and if things get at all hairy...throttle down and stop. Our kids love the yelling back and forth, they have jumped each other, switched tubes, fell off one tube and grabbed another then jumped back on their tube. Lots of "controlled" fun.

Again, right lake, right driver!!!

5.8 EFI 58FAPHUE

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:20 pm 
Seahorse

Spook wrote:

We too have taken it to the next level and with the right lake and the right driver, it can be really fun. It saves a lot of time pulling several kids at once and they have a blast. They don't even want to go by themselves anymore. Keep your ropes the same length, keep the speed down, and if things get at all hairy...throttle down and stop. Our kids love the yelling back and forth, they have jumped each other, switched tubes, fell off one tube and grabbed another then jumped back on their tube. Lots of "controlled" fun.

Wow that's a lot of work setting up all the lines and tubes I found if someone falls off and you have to stop its a bit of a chore making sure none of the lines get crossed up and also that they stay attached to the boat hook

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:42 am 
Shark

Spook wrote:

THAT...looks like waaay too much fun! Can you actually whip them all out of the wake? I'm assuming no but I'd love to see it...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:48 pm 
Whatever

Flyindutchman wrote:

THAT...looks like waaay too much fun! Can you actually whip them all out of the wake? I'm assuming no but I'd love to see it...

It looks as if all tubes are on one side of the wake..... so I would say its doable.

Does look like a blast. We have 4 tubes now, may have to try.