www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:26 am 
Seahorse

I have a 1998 220 Horizon with 5.7 Volvo-Penta / Cobra SX outdrive. I saw someone last week drag there out drive up the boat ramp because they couldn't lift the outdrive... So I started wondering/looking how do I raise this baby if the trim switch is dead?
Is there an override to relieve pressure on the cylinders? There is bolt with flat head screwdriver slot on top of the outdrive???
If so, do I need to carry straps to manually lift and hold in place untill I can find the problem.

Thanks,
Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:47 am 
Seahorse

The flat-head screw on the top of the drive is the vent for the drive gear oil. It has nothing to do with tilt

I don't know of any way to lift the drive other than lots of strenght or a jack. The one time I had to do it manually, I used a car jack to lift into place.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:57 pm 
email admin your custom rank

If it's an electrical issue such as a bad trim switch, my fear is your S.O.L. I don't know that you could lift one assuming full hydraulic pressure is intact. Maybe with a jack, but even then I'm not so sure. Fortunately, I've never had to try.

I used to have issues with the trim pump blowing o-rings in my old boat. The blown o-rings would relieve hydraulic pressure so I was then able to lift by hand (still damn heavy). That old Merc drive actually had a hook that would lock the drive to the transom mount once in the raised position. Great idea, but they don't make those anymore. I always have some straps in my truck's toolbox that I could fashion something up if I lost hydraulic pressure on my current boat.

Also, they make plastic devices that snap over the hydraulic ram arms in case you lose hydraulic pressure while going down the road. I think they cost about $10 at any marina. Not a bad investment.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:03 am 
email admin your custom rank

I think the bolt with a slot on the top of the drive referred to is the dipstick!

The pin holding the trim rams to the outdrive is quite easy to remove, allowing the drive to be lifted. The method to remove it depends on the year of the drive, the drives from 1999 have "E" clips that are easily prised out, earlier ones have nuts. Remove the plastic bushes as wel, as they may well drop off, unless you are passing a rope through them to tie the outdrive up.

Graham

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:40 pm 
Seahorse

Thanks for the advice... I currently do not have an issue lifting my drive. I just wanted to be prepaired incase of the worst. Seeing someone pulling up the ramp with drive dragging is a scarry site. I was hoping there was someway easier than removing the hydraulic cylinders, but if not, now I know what to do.

Thanks... Jeff