www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need some advice
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:31 pm 
Dolphin

I am on my second Volvo powered express cruiser. After 12 years of Volvo power I have decided to take on the task of doing some of my own repairs and maintenance. As many, I would like to cut back on my boating expenses. I sent away and got the Volvo Workshop manuals for the engine and drive as well as the EGC Diagnostics and wiring diagrams.
At this point I have three questions:

a. Where can I purchase the Special Tools needed.
B. As far as the diagnostic scan tool, Rinda or Volvo Penta P/N 3851228
c. At this point should I consider the PC soft ware and skip the scan tool.

If it helps any I am mechanically inclined and computer literate.

Thank you in advance sure could use some advice.

Post subject: Re: Need some advice
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:13 pm 
email admin your custom rank

It depends on what year boat you will be working on. Mine is a 2001 and I have been doing my own maintenance since day one. Sometimes without a choice. Lol. I have never needed the scanner or software. Why buy it now, wait till you need it because by the time you do need it there will probably be a newer version.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:14 pm 

Routine maintenance is generally not too difficult. Having the right tooling helps a lot.
1. Oil changes aren't too bad. Get an oil change suction tank to suck oil up the dipstick tube. Hopefully you have a remote-mounted filter.
2. Spark plugs are like a car.
3. The outdrive should be pulled every year, or at least every other year. The u-joints and gimbal bearing should be checked and greased, if possible. Check alignment with an alignment tool. These can be bought or made. An outdrive jack or stand will make all the difference wrestling with the drive. These can be bought or made. Even a wooden stand works. There should be a few youtube videos on pulling the drive and re-installing. Its not a bad job unless things have already gone bad inside.
4. Winterizing, if applcable, is covered in the manuals. Either drain any fresh water cooling and plumbing systems, or replace the water with antifreeze.
5. Like others, I'd like to have a diagnostic scanner, but I really haven't needed it yet. I know, I'll need it sometime and not have one......

For tooling you might look at:
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engine-r ... -outdrives
Look at the first two "Closed, Sticky" items. These have tooling info and several "How To" threads.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:37 pm 

byron wrote:
I am on my second Volvo powered express cruiser. After 12 years of Volvo power I have decided to take on the task of doing some of my own repairs and maintenance. As many, I would like to cut back on my boating expenses. I sent away and got the Volvo Workshop manuals for the engine and drive as well as the EGC Diagnostics and wiring diagrams.
At this point I have three questions:

a. Where can I purchase the Special Tools needed.
B. As far as the diagnostic scan tool, Rinda or Volvo Penta P/N 3851228
c. At this point should I consider the PC soft ware and skip the scan tool.

If it helps any I am mechanically inclined and computer literate.

Thank you in advance sure could use some advice.

Boat Outdrive Jack - Stumpy's Fab Works
www.stumpysfabworks.com/boat-outdrive-jack.html

http://www.rinda.com/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:24 am 

It sucks not having a scan tool. I use my auto scan tool every once and a while and it is great but only cost me $100 years ago. The boat versions are not standard and are expensive. Last I looked it was at least a $500 expense. For that price I can have the marina mechanic come about 10 times to give me the codes and if things change I don't have to pay for upgrades to the scan tool.
They really need a standard format and plug like the auto industry. Until then its really not worth it unless you foresee many many issues(lets hope not).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:27 am 
Shark

babbot1 wrote:
It sucks not having a scan tool. I use my auto scan tool every once and a while and it is great but only cost me $100 years ago. The boat versions are not standard and are expensive. Last I looked it was at least a $500 expense. For that price I can have the marina mechanic come about 10 times to give me the codes and if things change I don't have to pay for upgrades to the scan tool.
They really need a standard format and plug like the auto industry. Until then its really not worth it unless you foresee many many issues(lets hope not).

Diacom upgrades are free...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:50 pm 

LUBA wrote:
babbot1 wrote:

Diacom upgrades are free...

Yes, but there is no guarantee Volvo or Merc don't change the cables and you need adapters. Do they cover that? I don't know.
Just making a point there is no standard for boats like autos odbII.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:47 pm 
Dolphin

Thank you for all the feed back on my questions. Between now and spring time I want to know which direction to go. I received all the V.P. manuals through their website using the engine serial#. Its a 2015 FW V275 with a 320 EVC. I plan on keeping this one for a very long time and am willing to invest a few bucks to be able to do what I can to service it. Back to the Diacom. The adaptor will remain the same with the boat and as you say the upgrades are free, for now. Am I correct in thinking the scanner will only give me read outs (codes) related to electrical problems. I haven't gotten into the manuals yet. You know "the holidays". Once again any input is really appreciated.