www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:22 am 
268 Vista

fi.na.tine wrote:
Yep - agreed as above. Parts will be expensive, repairs expensive, and it will be cheaper to replace the boat rather than the engine.

Nonsense, and pure speculation.

Some more info:
Quote:
Unlike the GM Powertrain engines sourced by Mercury and Volvo-Penta that dominate the sterndrive and gas inboard market, this new MerCruiser engine was designed from the oil pan up for marine use. It’s a small-block style engine, with a cast iron block, pushrod valve actuation, and two valves per cylinder. The cylinder heads and intake manifold are aluminum and are cast by Mercury in its own foundry. Bore and stroke are 4.0 x 3.6 inches (101 x 92mm). The engine will be offered with raw-water or fresh-water cooling, is compatible with MerCruiser Alpha and Bravo One/Two/Three outdrives, and can be rigged with cable or SmartCraft DTS controls. With DTS comes the option of Joystick Piloting for twin-engine installations.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:43 am 
email admin your custom rank

I would bet that a year from now they might come out with an 8 cyl version with about 350hp. ...just my guess.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:04 pm 

If in fact it's got a cast iron block and aluminum heads/manifold, one would thing that all versions should be closed cooled for longevity. This is what V/P used to do when they sold the old style Volvo 4 cyl engine and the Aquatic drive. The block was iron, head was Alu and closed cooling was standard.

Interesting to design an all new engine with an iron block, pushrod and 2 valves per cyl. If they wanted to distance themselves from old school GM they sure didnt try too hard. Compare a Chrysler Pentastar with the old Mopar 3.9 V6, or the modern Hemi with the old Mopar 5.9/5.2. Odd to me for sure.
PS does it have a 60* cyl bank angle or 90* with a balance shaft just like you know who....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:25 pm 

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
fi.na.tine wrote:
Yep - agreed as above. Parts will be expensive, repairs expensive, and it will be cheaper to replace the boat rather than the engine.

Nonsense, and pure speculation.

Speculation maybe. At this point that is all there is. This engine could be the Ford 6 Liter of marine engines. It could be the best thing ever to hit the water. none of us will know. But with any specialty item, there is usually a specialty price as well. We will see - I hope I am wrong.

2013 Dodge Durango HEMI

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:24 pm 

Interesting that opinions seem to decry the 2 valves per cylinder approach. 4 (5) valves per cylinder was always pushed for cars as the high revving solution for high HP . However. high torque is what is required for marine engines.

OK, the VP D4/D6 are 4 valve and high torque, but the "fly by wire " EVC electronics let them down; severely as far as mine, with 8 engine hours from new now , is concerned . It doesn't even have a fail safe functionality . 2014 season mostly flat ideal sea condition, the best since 2005; 1 engine hour mostly when being fault tested, being lifted tomorrow. Well pi**ed off to say the least and I don't swear very often !!!)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:59 pm 

Actually I am a fan of the simplest mechanical solution to any transportation issue; still a big fan of the Chevy small block...but looking at 4 stroke outboard technology...it's a different world.
I also wonder if these engines will tolerate higher revs as the modern outboards do, vs the old school inboards which shoud cruise at 75% of max revs...

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:59 pm 
Minnow

I'd want to see a few model years go by first to assess durability and issues. Even if they made 1000 prototypes running them round the clock on the water/dyno that pales in compares to probably 10 million 4.3s built and running on water and road.

There is no way the economy of scale can be the same as an automotive engine due to all the components sourced, validated, bugs worked out of design and manufacture. Now I get that GM has abandoned iron head engines, but you'd think Merc could just license the design and buy the block/head/crank/assembly lines from GM. Its possible GM foundries were casting the block and heads but you'd think they could find a mexico or brazil foundry to do the same work.

4 valve cyl heads are directionally wrong in my opinion for truck and marine engines. High advertised horsepower is possible, but a 4v head is much less efficient than a 2v due to the tumbling mixture motion convecting a lot more to the cooling jacket than the classic swirl motion of a 2v head. Also less low end torque due to larger volume of spitback into the intake manifold as 2 intake valves are opened. A lot of technojargon but its well understood in IC engine fundamentals. Diesels are a different story due to the compression ignition. Hopefully Merc opted for a simple block-in-cam pushrod engine. Woe to them if they used a cogged belt or a big system of chains driving overhead cams....but the engine profile looks short like a pushrod profile.

I would think it possibly more cost effective to continue with GM Powertrain (or Ford, etc) and just go to closed loop, heat-exchanger cooling to protect aluminum water jackets.