www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:03 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Here is a photo sequence where I rebuilt my Raw Water Pump, including Bearing and Seal. Saved close to $250 over buying a new pump assembly...plus now it has a SST bearing.

(2000 Volvo Penta 5.7L, Brass Water Pump at front of engine, Harmonic Balancer Mount. 430 hours on engine)
Note: This procedure should not be done on a pump with excessive wear in the impeller cavity. Mine was in pretty good shape except for a bad bearing and seal. If the seal leaks, then assume the bearing is bad also because they used a steel bearing.

Picture of front of engine with Water Pump removed. Leaky water pump has caused rust, and rusty pulleys, which also eat up the V-belts. Three bolts held the pump assy to the Harmonic Balencer. 5/16" Allen wrench to remove.

Pump housing removed (4 brass screws, 5/16" socket or flat blade screwdriver)
The Back of the rotating brass housing is still mounted on the Shaft. The Shaft is an integral part of the Pulley.
A small gear puller was required to disassemble. First I hooked the gear puller under the brass part...only hooked the teeth under the brass by about 1/8" so it hooks only the brass, but not the steel bearing.
Once the brass was removed, I used the gear puller to pull the Steel Bearing. It was quite a lot of force to get the bearing off the shaft...it was all that the little gear puller could do.

This picture shows the parts.
Impeller kit VP# 21213660
Seal Kit VP# 827247
SST Bearing, SKF#6006-2RS ($55 at my local bearing shop)
The old Steel Bearing is shown (What were they thinking using steel here?)
Also shown is the pulley/shaft assembly after the bearing was removed.

The new SST bearing ready to go in the brass housing. Turns out that my new bearing slipped right in without a press fit...it looks like the original was peened in. Note the marks at the top of the brass.

The new SST bearing installed in the brass housing, with locktite...

Then peened the brass with a center punch to lock the bearing in.

Next I put the pulley/shaft assy in the freezer and chilled to around 15deg F. I left the brass housing and bearing at room temperature. With this temperature difference, I was able to push the two together by hand. I used a hammer and wood block to make sure it was all the way seated. (note the Frost on the Shaft and Pulley)

This pictures shows the new Lip Seal installed into the brass housing. The Seal is a hard rubber compound, so it is not too hard to push in. I pushed it in by placing a correctly sized washer over the seal, then placed a socket over the washer, then tapped it down with a hammer.

This is the Raw Water Pump fully assembled and ready to get some new paint before going back on the engine. Of course, the new impeller and O-ring was put in, lubricated with the glycerin that came with the 21213660 impeller kit.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

Last edited by rpengr on Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:25 pm 

I changed the seal on mine earlier this year ( the bearing was OK, I caught it early enough). To be honest, the seal is so cheap compared to a new pump or even the cost of a S/S bearing which you only need if the seal has failed and the process of removing the pump so easy, I'm tempted to regard it as a maintenance item every 2 years in future like the impellor ( I check that every year though).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:39 pm 

Graham R wrote:
I changed the seal on mine earlier this year ( the bearing was OK, I caught it early enough). To be honest, the seal is so cheap compared to a new pump or even the cost of a S/S bearing which you only need if the seal has failed and the process of removing the pump so easy, I'm tempted to regard it as a maintenance item every 2 years in future like the impellor ( I check that every year though).

Yes, the seal can be changed even without removing the pump from the engine. You just need a tool to pick out the old one. Far easier than the bearing change, and the seal is only $10 at Volvo Penta Store. I could sure see replacing it every 2-5 years as preventative maintenance.

prev. boats:
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:29 pm 

Great writeup,
I was curious how the pump was held onto the shaft. I assumed it had a snap ring but now know it is a simple compression fit.
I have had trouble getting the final o-ring to seal to the outer housing and usually apply a bit of silicon to the o-ring prior to installation. That seems to work fine.
Rob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:26 pm 
230 Mike

Great writeup!

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:37 pm 

Thanks! That was a great post.

And a lot of others.

Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:15 am 

Best darn post ever! I actually purchased the whole thing new from the VP local dealer because they told me that it couldn't be repaired :evil: I thought they were full of it because who would make a pump out of brass that if broken had no ability to be repaired. I told them it was my first boat and they sold me the part but I noticed when I was leaving after paying untold hundreds they told me I could just toss my old pump in the trash, I found that odd so I placed in the box it came in and took it back home with me. What a crock I totally got taken for a ride. I am tempted to print these pictures and take it to them to prove it can be repaired.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:53 am 

Jafo4U wrote:
Best darn post ever! ...

Thank you! :D

Jafo4U wrote:
...What a crock I totally got taken for a ride...

I would blame Volvo Penta more than your dealer. Volvo does not list any parts breakdown besides the impeller kit and the seals. After that they just list the entire assembly.

prev. boats:
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:38 am 

rpengr wrote:
Jafo4U wrote:
Best darn post ever! ...

Thank you! :D

Jafo4U wrote:
...What a crock I totally got taken for a ride...

I would blame Volvo Penta more than your dealer. Volvo does not list any parts breakdown besides the impeller kit and the seals. After that they just list the entire assembly.

Oh ok that is exactly what they told me. That it was an entire assembly and thank you again for that great post now I am curious if I can fix the damaged one and have it as a spare. This is going to be a great project for me since we don't drink and work on the boat anymore the boat has been running fine :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:15 am 

Well here it is all back together with the rebuilt raw-waterpump, and a new circulating pump (replaced as preventative maintenance while the back seat is out). No Leaks. :D

prev. boats:
'64 Water Wings

Last edited by rpengr on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:38 am 

What are those 2 hoses that go from the exhaust risers to the vicinity of the carb/ flame arrestors? Some kind of exhaust gas recirculation ? My risers have no such hoses, there are plugs in the risers ( the holes go all the way through to the exhaust gas passage)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:35 am 

Graham R wrote:
What are those 2 hoses that go from the exhaust risers to the vicinity of the carb/ flame arrestors? Some kind of exhaust gas recirculation ? My risers have no such hoses, there are plugs in the risers ( the holes go all the way through to the exhaust gas passage)

Those are called "Anti-siphon" valves. The end of the hose is just open to air, and is held next to the flame arrestor. I can't tell you which years have them, but my engine is in the 1994-1999 category.

My understanding is that they are a check valve that would allow air into the exhaust manifold if a suction was created in the exhaust manifold (by temp change, wave action, or engine dieseling in reverse direction).

prev. boats:
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:49 am 

Thanks for the explanation, I'd never come across them before.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:34 pm 

Rpengr did you save the seals that you pulled out of the housing that fit around the shaft? I need to replace my seal and have pulled it out (pn# dpsm16287) but having a hard time finding the right seal. I would assume its the same as the 827247 you installed but can't be for sure because my pump doesn't look like yours. Mine measures 1 1/8"od x 5/8"shaft x 1/4" tall any help is appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:47 pm 

fiznuka wrote:
Rpengr did you save the seals that you pulled out of the housing that fit around the shaft? I need to replace my seal and have pulled it out (pn# dpsm16287) but having a hard time finding the right seal. I would assume its the same as the 827247 you installed but can't be for sure because my pump doesn't look like yours. Mine measures 1 1/8"od x 5/8"shaft x 1/4" tall any help is appreciated.

No, I didn't save it, but it does sound like the same size. As a matter of fact, this link shows dimensions of 28mm OD x 16mm ID x 7mm thick... which is extremely close to your 1-1/8 x 5/8 x 1/4.
http://www.marinepartssource.com/newdetails.asp?pnumber=VP0827247&mfg=VOLVO&mfgno=827247&desc=Sealing%20Ring

I would go ahead and order the 827247.
Ray

prev. boats:
'64 Water Wings