www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:24 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I've been hustling to get the boat ready for the water (not sure why with the terrible weather!), and finally got around to replacing my impeller and pump housing in my R/MR/Alpha one drive. I've had the boat for two seasons now, but haven't had the drive apart before.
The impeller looks to be in great shape, but I'm replacing it and the housing anyway. The problem I have is that the water pocket cover has melting in several spots on the surface. I was able to get a new seal ring and tube in to check for water leaks. I plugged the copper tube and filled the water cavity on the upper housing up. Unfortunately the gasket of the water pocket cover has a small leak. It's just dripping slightly- if I fill the cavity up with water the level of water decreases by about 1/2" a minute.
I'm really hesitant to start unbolting the old cover, as I've read a bunch of horror stories about the bolts snapping off and ruining the entire upper housing.
Does anyone know the impact of a small leak like I'm experiencing? My boat has run great, no overheating. I changed the drive lube in the fall and saw no evidence of water intrusion. I'm tempted to let sleeping dogs lie, but don't want to compound the issue either.
Any advice is welcome!

Thanks,

5.0L Mercruiser, Alpha 1