www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vpenta 5.0fi problem
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:33 pm 
Guppy

I have a Regal with a Volvo penta 5.0 fi engine. The engine starts fine and runs great. Good oil pressure and idles smooth. Problem is under the left and right exhaust manifolds there are two missing plugs or caps which seem to dump water into the engine bay area never noticed it before. This is also when running it out of water on a trailer. I think its weird but it missing on the same place on both sides of the engine. Wish I could add pics. It looks like its been that way for a while too. Engine has 241 hours on it and I was prepping it for the water this weekend.

Not sure what is going on or if this is normal

Help!!!!!!

Post subject: Re: Vpenta 5.0fi problem
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:08 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Is it the drains for the exhaust manifolds. If so just pick up some rubber caps and hose clamp them on. Or are they threaded inside?

1997 225 Sundowner

Mike

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:24 pm 
Guppy

acguy wrote:
Is it the drains for the exhaust manifolds. If so just pick up some rubber caps and hose clamp them on. Or are they threaded inside?

It's actually on the engine block there is an identical spot next to it with a cap looks pressed into the block. These holes are not threaded. It looks like if necessary I can press new plugs in but not sure why they are missing in the first place.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... 66&bih=631
The link shows a similar engine. Note the YELLOW circles below the exhaust manifold only (2) the missing one is above the starter not sure if it's just obscured in this picture

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:46 pm 

Are you actually talking about one of the yellow plugs. If so those are "frost" plugs that are pressed in during manufacturing. They can pop out if you didn't get winterized properly

1997 225 Sundowner

Mike

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:56 pm 
Guppy

acguy wrote:
Are you actually talking about one of the yellow plugs. If so those are "frost" plugs that are pressed in during manufacturing. They can pop out if you didn't get winterized properly

Yes that it exactly...... The boat was professionally winterized this last season but it looks like they have been missing for a while. Are these something i can buy and "pop" back in? If so I have no idea where to start looking

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:06 pm 

If it was professionally winterized and they were missing I think I would find a new shop to go to.... I think any auto parts store may be able to get them. It is just a 305 Chevy block.
Would question the shop who did the work in the fall.

1997 225 Sundowner

Mike

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:10 pm 
Guppy

acguy wrote:
If it was professionally winterized and they were missing I think I would find a new shop to go to.... I think any auto parts store may be able to get them. It is just a 305 Chevy block.
Would question the shop who did the work in the fall.

Definitely will, thanks for the help

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:48 am 

:shock: :shock:

If the freeze plugs popped, its possible you have more damage that you havent seen yet.... Most shops are insured; I would call whoever winterized it last year RIGHT NOW and tell them what you have found. Just in case you need a new block. Also, they need to know their mistake.

On my very first boat I bought when I was in my young 20's, had a freeze plug sitting on the bottom of the bilge. I popped it back in, started up the engine, only to discover a 4" crack along the water jacket. :evil:

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:35 am 

Yes, that is very scary. The most likely reason that freeze plugs are missing is that there was ice in the engine, and other damage is likely.

If you buy new ones an auto parts store, make sure they are brass... not plated steel.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:58 am 
Guppy

rpengr wrote:
Yes, that is very scary. The most likely reason that freeze plugs are missing is that there was ice in the engine, and other damage is likely.

If you buy new ones an auto parts store, make sure they are brass... not plated steel.

Okay so here is what I got after digging, I was deployed to Afghanistan last year during the winter and after the summer my wife had a friend of mine winterized the boat. It obviously was not done correctly I now need new plugs to install and sealant (not sure what kind). I found the old plugs sitting under the engine. The engine is mechanically sound.
I get that it's possibly a 302 block but I've called around and no Marine shop has them on hand. I live in Jacksonville, NC. I've been told to try any auto parts store also and they might have it too

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:01 pm 
268 Vista

Regal_242 wrote:
I get that it's possibly a 302 block but I've called around and no Marine shop has them on hand

I think the 302 is a Ford block. The VP is a GM block and should be a 305 I believe.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:45 am 

If its got the distributor in the front and the oil filter on the front right hand side of the block as you face it, thats a Ford engine, the distributor in the rear and oil filter at the rear right corner is a Chevrolet.
I hope they didn't use one of those ridiculous winterizing tanks to do the job...if so....you might have more damage than is obvious...core plugs don't pop out for no reason...they pop out because water froze in the engine....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II