www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:30 pm 
Seahorse

First off please forgive me if this has already been asked but I didn't see it anywhere. Is there a general rule of thumb as to how often to change the fuel filter and water/fuel separator? Should I change them every hundred hours? Every spring or fall? I only ask because I changed mine today and they both looked like they were past due. I just bought the boat and wanted to see of there was anything short of taking them off and looking at them to know when a replacement is necessary.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:54 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I change mine "as necessary" or every spring. If yours appeared to be "past due", you may want to figure out how long it's been and change them sooner! Just an opinion.

Previous boats:
2003 Four Winns 248 Vista - sold
1994 Sunbird Corsair 200 - sold
1980 Checkmate Predictor - sold

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:10 pm 
Seahorse

I just bought the boat a short time ago this late summer and have been going over stuff and repairing/replacing things as I get the money to do so. I thought I would change them every spring but didn't know if that was an overkill and wasting money but in the grand scheme of things twenty bucks or so every spring isn't going to make me loose any sleep night.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:09 am 
email admin your custom rank

Because of the problems you can have with water in the fuel or phase separation if you are forced by the totalitarian EPA to use E-10 gas (which can be E-15 or E-20 or whatever the tanker driver mixes up), its a good idea to change it once a year, either in the fall or spring, dump the contents out and let it sit in a mason jar. See if you see a layer of water on the bottom. If so you have water/E-10 EPA created problems, and I'd consider getting the gas tank cleaned out. Also if you see water change the gas cap, sometimes those rubber gaskets dry out and don't seal and that lets water in from rain.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:30 pm 
Seahorse

Well as of yesterday, the boat has indoor storage so come next year I'll know if there is a large amount of water in the separator I'll know it is from the wonderful gas we are forced to buy. Halfway tempted to fill up with race fuel and see how the old girl likes it.