www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:37 pm 
Seahorse

I'd like to start by thanking everyone for the tips and pictures on Outdrive removal. I was able to remove both in 4 hours and that included building two custom jacks using motorcycles lifts as the basis. Someone sent great pictures, works like a charm, no heavy lifting and they're mobile.

I have repainted my outdrives twice already (2012 & 2013), 2012 all the way to bare metal. Sanding and sandblasting was an ordeal of note, and I'd like to speed things up this time around. May I use paint stripper on the outdrives, if so, any suggested brand, apart from the typical safety considerations, any other tips/recommendations/advice on using paint stripper on outdrives? Is there any recommended filler for minor pitting and similar cosmetic blemishes.

Also, I need to replace both bearing carriers, I have the Selco manual and it describes the process in great detail. Any practical tips will be appreciated. I also notice that I need a special tool, which I assume is a custom bearing puller, anybody have a practical homemade recommendation. Some photos would be helpful. If no practical home made solution is available, where can I buy the appropriate tool/s?

Note, the bearing carrier and lower section seem to be fused together where the join. Looks like corrosion played a big part in this. Once again any help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

I'll send pictures as things progress.

Seasons Greetings.

C

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:05 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Captain_cgc wrote:
Sanding and sandblasting was an ordeal of note, and I'd like to speed things up this time around. May I use paint stripper on the outdrives, if so, any suggested brand, apart from the typical safety considerations, any other tips/recommendations/advice on using paint stripper on outdrives? Is there any recommended filler for minor pitting and similar cosmetic blemishes.

I took my outdrives to a metal fabrication shop and they sandblasted both for under $200 and they came out very clean. As for cosmetic pitting and blemishes, I used JB Kwik Weld and did basically what this guy did (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PplG38bUcY). I sprayed the outdrives with primer then filled in the pitting with JB Kwik Weld, sanded and then primed again.