www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:37 pm 
Guppy

I was out on the lake Saturday and my throttle control lever came loose and backed off the linkage spline.

I was stopped and trying to get the boat to start but the ignition safety switch was not aligned on the throttle control box and we ended up getting towed back to the dock.

I removed the throttle lever and reinstalled it on the linkage spline but I can not get the linkage to work correctly. The idle button is stuck in and the ignition will not engage.

I have looked on line for Throttle Linkage Box adjustment instructions but can not find anything.

Before I give up and take the boat to the mechanic does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks is advance!

Mart

My boat: 2005 Four Winns Funship 214
Volvo Penta 5.0 GXi engine with the Volvo throttle control box.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:46 am 
email admin your custom rank

If the throttle assembly is the same as it was on my 2004 VP, then the lever can only go back in 1 position relative to the casing; there is a slot intro which the shift detent cam fits (i .e. the mechanism that prevents accidental shifting from neural.)

However, if your lever came off the splines on the inner shaft when underway, then the shaft may well not be in the neutral position when you refit the lever (as well as the throttle being open). If I remember correctly, if needs be the detent shaft can be removed. The splined shaft can be rotated, you may be able to "feel" or hear when it is in neutral or you may have to look at the shift mechanism at the outdrive end,

Once you know it is in neutral, the lever can be refitted and it should work ok. Don't forget to fit the white plunger which goes through the fixing bolt, or else you will not be able choose to rev it up out of gear.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:58 pm 
Guppy

Thanks Graham. I'm headed out to work on it some more tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:18 pm 
Guppy

So I went out to give it one more try before dropping more $$ on a mechanic.

I moved the throttle into the reverse area and when I heard the neutral button pop I stopped moving the throttle.

The engine starter safety lockout was aligned and I was able to engage the starter!

I took off the throttle lever and reinstalled the lever in the correct neutral position and volla! All better and Mart is a happy boater again....at least for a week or so! LOL!

Thanks Graham!