www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:43 pm 
Clownfish

1) Hey folks, I have a 2014 H190rs with a VP fuel injected 4.3. Last season I got about 40 hours put on trouble free. This season I have had 3 fuel pumps fail. The dealer just picked up my boat to put fuel pump #4 on. All covered under warranty luckily.
This time I asked them to look at the boat, not just the engine. Fuel lines, fuel tank, tank vents, anti siphon valves, pick up tube etc. Why would I have to suggest something like this? I know my way around a tool box but am definitely no pro.

#2) Ive burnt up a piston on an old 2 stroke from running lean, but the gas is mixed, no gas no oil right? Can running a 4 stoke lean or not enough fuel pressure damage a brand new engine?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:30 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Yes it can but not as fast as it can a 2 stroke. Take a look at the spark plugs, if the insulators in the engine are blistered white then its too lean. Light tan/grey is good. You shouldn't run a marine inboard too lean as they are under load all the time.
I don't get what's up with these fuel pumps. I've had fuel injected cars for years, one needed a pump at 115,000 miles. The two older vehicles we have (172,000 and 162,000 miles) still have the original pumps. I know that marine systems do not have the pump in the tank and need to pull rather than push the fuel for safety reasons but still this is unacceptable. Back in the day on our cars with carbs, I replaced exactly 1, that is ONE mechanical fuel pump. My carb boat is on the OE pump at 28 years old!!!
Come on Volvo, is this rocket science???

PS check the electrical connections carefully, I don't know these new systems but I bet that any corrosion on grounds will cause a low voltage situation which may shorten the life of the pump.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:52 pm 

Are you ever using an ethanol based fuel?
Some pumps die prematurely with the alcohol.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:34 pm 
Clownfish

I typically use 87 from the local gas station up the street. If were in a hurry or just lazy we'll fill up on the water. Either way I use the marine stabil when ever I add gas. I keep my tank nearly full as much as I can. Only once this year did I fall below 1/4. I get the ethanol deal but I use my boat a lot and the stabil should be helping as well. The.boat is at a slip all season and gets all sorts of weather thrown at it. Imo that shouldnt matter. Its a boat, they should degisn parts to work in said conditions.

I will mention the corroded connections. Its still in the shop I havent heard from them yet. I will look at the spark plugs as well. I asked about engine damage because I would want it replaced after all these bad fuel pumps. I dont want my new engine prematurely wearing because of a design flaw.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:53 am 

So you are using ethanol fuel?
Look in your engine manual, as it may state to not use any ethanol based fuels, for this very reason.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:50 am 
Clownfish

Regular pump gas is what the dealer told me when I bought it, I am pretty sure the manual didn't specify. I will reread it to make sure. Pretty sure all gas around me has the "10% minimal" ethanol blend. The 2 marinas ive been to advertised additives they use but I failed to notice if it has ethanol. What ever they gotta do to justify the $4.20 a gallon. I prefer my 15 gallon portable tank that wheels off my truck to the dock.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:34 am 
Shark

I thought all auto and marine components have been rated for ethanol use for at least the last 10 years?

My buddies prefer no ethanol gas because they say ethanol can absorb water if left over time and especially in high humidity.

Doug

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:01 am 

Yes auto and marine fuel system components are rated for E-10, 10% ethanol. The problem sometimes is that is not what you are getting. When E-10 was introduced here in Long Island there were many problems with boats and some repair shops started using fuel test kits to measure how much ethanol was actually in the fuel. They found that there can be anywhere from 10%-20% which is obviously too high. So I might be curious enough to test my gas if I were having that much trouble. I had a few problems back in 04/05 with red junk in the filter and a corroded anti siphon valve but since then I have not had problems that I could associate to ethanol.

In your case I'd get the shop to very carefully check for both wiring problems (feed and ground) and also any restrictions in the fuel supply system that might cause the pump to strain.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II