www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Volvo Fuel usage issue
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:13 am 
Tadpole

Hi i am from perth Australia and have recently experienced a problem with my volvo powered 348.

the problem is the starboard engine is using significantly more fuel than the port engine (about 100 liters over 3 hours use) in speaking to my dealer he advises that they also have a volvo powered 318 doing the same.

volo have been out an put the Vodia on the boat and declared that the fuel flow is the same on both engines according to the diagnostics. which are obviously wrong as i have to keep putting more fuel in the starbord tank.

it is not leaking or being siphoned

does anyone have any ideas or experience in this regards as we are going nowhere after 6 weeks of dealing on this and the dealer is no longer answering his phone.

many thanks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:01 pm 
Dolphin

How are you sure it is not drawing more fuel from one tank than the other? Silly question, but the easy stuff gets over looked sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:03 pm 
Starfish

Make sure your valves are not set up so both engines draw off of both tanks When my 318 was set up that way one tank went down fast and the other hardly moved. I had to switch it over so each engine draws from its own tank. Once I did that it looks like they are drawing about the same.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:44 pm 
Minnow

I have a 2003 vista 348 and I have found the Volvo engines draw about 10% more from the starboard tank. I've not worried about it but I always need to remember to add more fuel to the starboard tank when filling up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:20 pm 
Tadpole

hi i have checked the valve plus the port engine is using fule quite considerably as well

an example over 3 hours runing the port engine used about 140 litres and the starboard about 270 this was in fairly heavy going in the ocean. going up the river at about 6 knots it used about 30% more

the 318 uses the genset from the starboard engine th e348 from the port so it is definately not that either

i beleive the boat may also be over propped as it does not rev past about 4200rpm it has f4 props.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:17 pm 
Goldfish

I have a V335, 2011, just as they changed model numbers fron 318 to 335, the manual that came with the boat was titled V318. I've got mine set up for the fuel to flow from both tanks in the fantasy that the tanks would go down at the same level. Not. Recently the port tank looks like it's feeding both engines. I'll switch that this weekend and see what happens. I understand this is common, but it started happening suddenly after the starboard fuel celll was replaced. Both engines behave flawlessly and similarly.

It's always something.....