www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:44 pm 
Seahorse

Has any one here replace the carrier assembly in their Bravo 1? Was out doing some work on the boat getting it ready in hopes of an early spring and noticed that I have what appears to be gear oil on either side of the skeg, appears to be coming from behind the prop somewhere. I had an issue last year (2014) with the mechanic having trouble getting the lower drain plug out and am thinking that the same happened this past fall (2015) and maybe the carrier assembly got damaged in the process. Regardless I am in the process of finding a new marine mechanic, the place I use is the only option in town and have been around for a long time but they do not do good quality work (bilge was full of oil and water after having the oil changed in engine) and I always feel like they don't really care about their customers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:08 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Could be a prop shaft seal. I this happen on a Bravo 3 a few years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:30 pm 
Seahorse

alex8q4 wrote:
Could be a prop shaft seal. I this happen on a Bravo 3 a few years ago.

Is this something that the average idiot like me could check? I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is something cheaper than replacing the entire lower unit.

I am leaning heavily toward something being wrong with the carrier/plug since they had issues getting it out previously. I didn't have it in me to pull the prop off and investigate today, like I said previously more than a little angry with the shop here. :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:02 am 

When you take the prop off look to see if the oil is leaking at the prop shaft itself. I believe it is a Teflon seal that keeps the oil from draining out around the shaft. This is a wear item and it is a relatively common repair.

The seal itself is not expensive, but The job required a special tool, and I'm not one to open up a gear case. I had a local shop do it and the cost was not too bad.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:42 am 

You can find digital copies (.pdf) of the Merc Bravo service manuals online. Very useful for troubleshooting issues and determining if it is a job you would want to tackle yourself.

If you cannot find a copy, send me a PM with your email address.