www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuel System Issue?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:18 pm 
Seahorse

Hello all,

I have a 2006 Horizon 210 w/ a VP 5.0L GXi w/ 127 hours on it. I have owned the boat since it had 40 hours and it's always had a bit of a whirring noise coming from the fuel pump, but no issues at all and it has always ran great.

Two days ago I was leaving the dock after starting it up and letting it idle for about 10 minutes while the wife and kids got their life jackets on and their gear loaded and the boat began shuddering and shaking as I tried to accelerate. I quickly put it into neutral and opened up the engine hatch and noticed that I couldn't hear the whirring noise of the fuel pump any longer. I decided that since I was close to the dock I needed to head back in and see what was going on, while I was on my way in the power completely dropped out and the engine died. I shut the key off, turned it back on and I could hear the fuel pump operate as it normally did, then the boat started right up. It was still shuddering and shaking as I limped it back into the dock.

Once I got the family back onto the dock, I started it back up. I put it into the neutral and revved the engine through different RPM's all the way up to 3500 with no noticeable issues except for the fact that the noise level of the fuel pump seemed to change a bit. The whirring noise would sometimes get quiet, then back to the normal level again. I shut the boat off and left it for the weekend with the intention of getting someone to come out and take a look at it.

Just for the hell of it, I went out this evening and turned the key on, the fuel pump could barely be heard. I shut the key off, waited a few seconds, then turned it on again, the fuel pump now sounds like it normally does. I took it out for a lake ride and while it wasn't shuddering and shaking, it didn't seem to have the normal power and the fuel pump noise was noticeably less than it has always been. After running it for about 20 - 30 minutes, the fuel pumps were cool to the touch. I can also hear a slight grinding noise when I rev the engine up above 1500 - 2000 RPM (this may or may not be a separate issue)

Could this be a blockage somewhere that has just now gotten bad enough to cause an issue, possibly an issue w/ the anti-siphon valve or air in the fuel system somewhere? From reading other posts on here, I was under the impression that if the fuel pumps were going that they would be very hot to the touch and making a louder squealing noise.

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Fuel System Issue?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:25 pm 
email admin your custom rank

You certainly could check the anti siphon valve (boat's 10 years old good time to replace it) because if it sticks it could strain the pump. The other thing I'd do is make sure all the electrical connections for the pump are tight and clean and free of corrosion. Low voltage to the pump will shorten its life and could be causing the problems you see.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:10 am 
Seahorse

Thanks Lou, good point about checking the electrical connections. I will check those out this afternoon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:45 pm 
Seahorse

Just thought I'd post an update. I added some new fuel w/ startron as the boat was at about an eighth of a tank, brought it up to about half full. Took it out on the lake again and ran it through it's paces. It seems to be running just fine, the fuel pump sounds normal (I have started to prime the pump 2 or 3 times before starting the boat and that seems to work pretty well). At WOT I was running around 4700 - 4800 RPM and was at around 51MPH, which is normal per my manual.

My thoughts are maybe I had some old fuel from last year and I was very close to empty and was sucking up whatever was in the bottom of the fuel tank? Possibly it was not getting enough fuel even though my gauge showed just below 1/4 of a tank and that is why it was acting like it was out of fuel?

The steering is tough, but that is something that I've noticed all season and there is a grinding noise that is present when I rev it up in gear or when in neutral, possible power steering pump/bearing issue? It shakes quite a bit when I'm idling along and turn the steering wheel either to the right or the left. I have heard others say that the noise may be related to the Gimbal bearing, but that has been described as a sound like marbles rubbing together and only when it is in gear. My noise seems to be present in gear or in neutral and is more of a higher pitched grinding.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:06 am 

Your post sounds exactly like what I encountered over the weekend. I also added Startron after one of my slip neighbors who is a mechanic suggested it. I thought my fuel pump was out and planned to buy a new one and I would have a spare if it wasn't the issue. Turns out a new fuel pump for my 8.1 is in the $1,700 range so I decided I sure wanted to make sure that was the issue. My issue happened Friday evening resulting in a tow back to the marina. I did a bit of troubleshooting and added the Startron before I left Saturday for a wedding. I came back Sunday morning with a fuel pressure gauge intending to check the pump and also made an appointment with the marina mechanic. Once I was back on the boat I started checking every fitting and connection and for good measure I tapped my fuel pumps with a pair of channel locks. I started the boat and to my surprise it started and idled fine. I brought up the rpm and let it run for about ten minutes still with no issues. We boated the rest of the day Sunday and I made several passes at WOT still with no issue.

I spoke with Bliss36 bouncing some ideas back and forth and he suggested I use my infrared thermometer to make sure my pumps are running cool. He said a struggling pump will heat up so I plan to do than when I'm out next just to make sure mine is working OK. I never did end up checking fuel pressure since I started and ran so well.

Oh and I am going to pick up more Startron since what I used I borrowed from my slip neighbor. He owns a motorcycle repair shop and sells quads. He said he tears down carbs on a daily basis and sees every storage issue around and he swears by the stuff. He uses it in all the fuel he puts in. I don't know if it solved my issue and I'm always skeptical of those claims but it might have worked in my case and it sounds like it could have helped your situation as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:13 pm 
Seahorse

Yeah I use Startron religiously. Each time I get fuel ( I fill a number of 5 gallon cans at once for various things around the house) I add it right then so that I don't forget later on.

I made it a point to check my pumps multiple times during my 1 hour ride on Sunday to see if they were getting hot, both of them felt relatively cool so I do not believe the issue is there, but you never know I guess.

If you do check your fuel pressure, please let me know what you are seeing so that I can compare to my system if I get far enough into the troubleshooting where I need to check it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:35 pm 

dwelleyc1 wrote:
Y
If you do check your fuel pressure, please let me know what you are seeing so that I can compare to my system if I get far enough into the troubleshooting where I need to check it.

I think I found the pressure somewhere over the weekend and it was around 5-8 lbs for the low pressure and 55 for the high pressure pump but don't quote me on that. I didn't end up checking mine since I was so damn happy it was running. I'll see if I can find out where I uncovered the specs on it. Bliss36 might have given me that info too. I rented the gauge from O'reilly and they charged my credit card and once I returned it they credited my account for the full amount.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:39 pm 

You might look at the following site:

http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

Select your engine and drive brand and then look for the model. You should be able to find engine info, outdrive info, fuel, ignition, electrical, and other info in these online manuals.

Generally the low pressure pumps seem to be 6 +/- 2 psi or 5 +/- 2 psi depending on engine model. The high pressure side may be in the 29 psi range or the 55 psi range, depending on engine model. You might want to get engine model and serial #, outdrive model and serial#, and transom shield #, if possible.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:53 am 

So I thought my problem was resolved but it came back. This time it started rough after sitting overnight. I tapped the fuel pump lightly and it ran fine. Got it back to the slip but had more problems on the way back. Once safely in the slip I fired it up and it was running great then I heard a click and it fell on its face but was still barely running. I tapped the fuel pump and it roared back to life. Would you order the fuel pump. Full assembly is near $1700 so I'd like to be sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:55 pm 

Just make sure your electrical connections are clean and tight including any grounds first.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:27 pm 

Flyer51 wrote:
So I thought my problem was resolved but it came back. This time it started rough after sitting overnight. I tapped the fuel pump lightly and it ran fine. Got it back to the slip but had more problems on the way back. Once safely in the slip I fired it up and it was running great then I heard a click and it fell on its face but was still barely running. I tapped the fuel pump and it roared back to life. Would you order the fuel pump. Full assembly is near $1700 so I'd like to be sure.

Do you run that worthless government mandated E10? If so, don't and start out by replacing your low pressure pump first because that is typically where the problem lies when running worthless government mandated E10 (don't ask me how I know).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:43 pm 
Seahorse

Sorry to hear that man. $1700? That is crazy, from everything I've read on here, mine would run about $700 if I ended up needing one. Must be the difference in the engines that is driving the extra G?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:48 pm 
Seahorse

I had the same issues at the start of last season. Would run great on the muffs but as soon as we tried to launch and go anywhere it would sputter and die. Then on a restart it would run great. Then it would die and you could smell raw fuel from the exhaust.

I kicked around trying to rebuild the pump assembly but found an "affordable" replacement from http://www.michiganmotorz.com

They saved me so much money compared to the dealer that I was able to buy plugs, wires and a cap and still have cash left over.

We have a 5.7gxi in our boat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:06 pm 

Solved my problem by installing a new fuel pump. Back up running and ready for the weekend. Found a reduced price on the last fuel pump someone had on hand and bought it. Boy do they get a lot of money for them. Can't wait to try it out over the weekend. I always had a bit of a hesitation when pushing the throttle in and now that seems to have gone away. :D :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:35 am 
Goldfish

I had similar issues and it turned out to be bad gas caused by a missing o-ring on the fuel cap. Rain water would run down the side of the hull, get in the fuel and cause havoc. A $.50 part eliminated the problem (after dumping the bad gas).

2008 Toyota 4Runner