www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trim cylinder model?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:12 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Looks like I might need to replace one of my trim cylinders and would like to see if I can find a used replacement. There are some on ebay, but obviously I don't want to buy one that doesn't work. Would anyone know of a reference I can use to see which model will work, or would anyone know what would work for a 99 5.7Gsi with duoprop? Or would anyone know if these are universal? Thanks.

Jason

Post subject: Re: Trim cylinder model?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:48 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Sorry I couldn't do better, looks like a standard Bennet package

http://parts.fwdealer.com/Catalog/Catal ... rettyPhoto

Last one on the list.... doesn't break it out, but my guess is, Bennet can tell you what the put on there....

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:32 pm 

Hey thank you for the response but unfortunately I meant the outdrive trim cylinder. I should have been more specific in my request.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:38 am 
Goldfish

I rebuilt both my trim cylinders (1999 5.7 gsi) with seal kit from eBay . I think it was around $80- pricey for a few o-rings, but a lot cheaper than new cylinders. My cylinders weren't damaged, just leaked, and the kit worked great. Hope this helps

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:13 am 
Livin' the Dream

jayjay4735 wrote:
Hey thank you for the response but unfortunately I meant the outdrive trim cylinder. I should have been more specific in my request.

Not sure why I thought trim tab cyl. I have read on here about guys taking them off and to a local machine/hydraulic shop to be rebuilt. Good luck!

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:29 am 

grkrze wrote:
I rebuilt both my trim cylinders (1999 5.7 gsi) with seal kit from eBay . I think it was around $80- pricey for a few o-rings, but a lot cheaper than new cylinders. My cylinders weren't damaged, just leaked, and the kit worked great. Hope this helps

I'm thinking I may end up going this route ultimately. Do you know what seal kit you used? One of my main issues right now I'm having is I can't figure out which model I have.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:30 am 

chris268 wrote:
jayjay4735 wrote:

Not sure why I thought trim tab cyl. I have read on here about guys taking them off and to a local machine/hydraulic shop to be rebuilt. Good luck!

Thanks, I appreciate the help anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:43 am 
Seahorse

I would start with the part number - get the part number and research it online to see what you can find out about it.

You might be able to look up the part number for the trim cylinder on the volvopentastore website or marinepartseurope website - both of these sites have Volvo parts catalogs. You could also give a call to a dealer to get the part number.

If you can find the part number for the trim cylinder you might be able to search on that part number and find info about it - either replacement cylinders with the same part number or maybe some info out there in a forum like this where someone had a similar problem and they cross-referenced the part number to other options that would work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:19 am 

jmb23802 wrote:
I would start with the part number - get the part number and research it online to see what you can find out about it.

You might be able to look up the part number for the trim cylinder on the volvopentastore website or marinepartseurope website - both of these sites have Volvo parts catalogs. You could also give a call to a dealer to get the part number.

If you can find the part number for the trim cylinder you might be able to search on that part number and find info about it - either replacement cylinders with the same part number or maybe some info out there in a forum like this where someone had a similar problem and they cross-referenced the part number to other options that would work.

Thanks for the info on volvopentastore and marinepartseurope. I'll check those out as the part number is what I've been trying to find out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:39 pm 
Goldfish

There should be a label on the engine with drive unit info. Mine is DP-SM. I ordered the rebuild kit based on this. Link to kit below- works with all SX and DPS-M rams. The seller is very helpful and will answer any questions you may have.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/231921156263

Good luck!
Greg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:53 pm 

grkrze wrote:
There should be a label on the engine with drive unit info. Mine is DP-SM. I ordered the rebuild kit based on this. Link to kit below- works with all SX and DPS-M rams. The seller is very helpful and will answer any questions you may have.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/231921156263

Good luck!
Greg

Thanks, I was down there today and I saw that plate on the drive and it is so worn I couldn't even tell, but I would imagine that it would be the same as yours. I can do some more research to see if that was the standard model for that year. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:22 pm 

I had a 99 Vista 258, and Im pretty sure the seal rebuild kit is 985060, but double check that. You have to get your engine/drive designation and google it, find the parts diagram on boats.net, and find the correct seal part # kit. But I thought my 99 Vista 258 was the 985060 one.....

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:33 pm 

Technologic80 wrote:
I had a 99 Vista 258, and Im pretty sure the seal rebuild kit is 985060, but double check that. You have to get your engine/drive designation and google it, find the parts diagram on boats.net, and find the correct seal part # kit. But I thought my 99 Vista 258 was the 985060 one.....

Thanks for the info, I'll have to look around and see if I can verify that. Ended up putting the boat in the water and I think I'll look to get this taken care of after the season as long as it holds up.