www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:05 pm 
Goldfish

Hi I have a 2000 298 Vista that I'm one of the drives both trim Rams need to be replaced
So I bought new ones but before I put it on I'm trying to clear out the fluid that is a strawberry Color
So I drained it down low, and try to pump it out into plastic bottles. Then I added new fluid but it still keeps coming out which I'm guessing has a water in it. I can't seem to get it cleaned up and there's not much in the bottom of the reservoir. I guess my next move is to completely pump it out

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:54 am 
email admin your custom rank

If I had to guess I would say there is air in the fluid. Give it time, if it's air the colour will return within a few hours.

This is a high pressure system, so if you drained it and added new fluid, tiny bubbles would be created when purging the air from the system.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:00 am 

Most of the outdrive trim systems and the trim tab systems use a hydraulic fluid like automotive power steering fluid or similar to MIL-H-5606 aircraft hydraulic fluid. These are red in color. Are you saying the fluid you are removing is a lighter color red than original? As you replace components like cylinders also changing fluid is not a bad idea. Some new cylinders or other components take a while to get all the air purged because part of the cylinder is higher than the hose connection. As you cycle the cylinder a little bit of this air tends to mix with the fluid and foam a bit. If you have trapped air you might try disconnecting the cylinder's rear attach point to the outdrive so the cylinder remains horizontal as you cycle it .

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:22 pm 
Goldfish

Well good news I was able to run the pump before I put the new trim rams and pump through till it was all clear. I ran through 2 quarts of power steering fluid And it's coming out clear now.

My next question I have twin motors so I did not have to touch one outdrive and in the reservoir it looks very red in color compared to the power steering fluid I'm using I have no way of figuring out what exactly in there. Should I be concerned about the different fluid being in these wooden one move faster than the other if the fluid is different
The one is red color like ATF would look in the power steering fluid is more of a clear color

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:12 pm 

Hmmm good question... it is possible to cause a difference in speed. Did you try it out?

I have one drive that is quicker than the other and it drives me nuts.

Now you have me wondering.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:24 pm 

If you still have the boat out of the water I would recommend timing how long each of the drives take to go up and down. up and down. Also, check to see how accurate the trim gages are with each other. While you are doing this you might want to check your trim tab systems to see how they compare to each other too.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:46 pm 
Goldfish

I wil check, it's still out of the water. still have a few things to put back together.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:23 am 
Goldfish

Also when installing new trim Rams the two rods that hold the rams do you grease them all the way through and where the rams connect

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:04 pm 
Goldfish

Surface Interval wrote:
If you still have the boat out of the water I would recommend timing how long each of the drives take to go up and down. up and down. Also, check to see how accurate the trim gages are with each other. While you are doing this you might want to check your trim tab systems to see how they compare to each other too.

Trim rams are in and work perfect they both go the same speed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:34 pm 

robwny wrote:
Also when installing new trim Rams the two rods that hold the rams do you grease them all the way through and where the rams connect

Yes grease them where they go through the bushings in the rear of the upper gear housing. I like to put some OMC gasket sealer on the threads of the rod, it helps keep the nut from seizing. If you don't grease them, on boats that are left in the water it can be tough to get that rod out the next time.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:01 pm 
Shark

robwny wrote:

How much were the new rams?