www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: shift cable seal
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:58 am 
email admin your custom rank

This seal has been looking pretty sad the past few drive removals and this time it finally came off.

Two questions....what is it protecting? Assume the cable itself.

Can I get just the smaller of the two seals, can they be replaced without removing the drive again. Should I just do the whole shift cable? Scale of 1-10 how hard is that? I don't doubt I CAN do it just wondering if I WANT to.

Thanks for any help

(98, SX drive single prop)

ImageUntitled by Jon Miller, on Flickr

Newtown, CT
untitled-545 by millerjont, on Flickr

Post subject: Re: shift cable seal
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:46 pm 

Hi John, the first thing I would ask is whether the shift cable is working well or if it is stiff. Older cables may have some slop or other issues. The seal you show is intended to keep water out, but they don't always work perfectly. As you look at the area of the cable where the seal was, look for any signs of rust or other issues.

Changing these cables is not too difficult. There will be a few clamps and/or cable ty-wraps. In the engine compartment there is a black plastic tube attached to the out drive's transom bracket that the shift cable goes into before it goes through the transom and to the out drive. The cable should slide out of this tube without much difficulty. You might try using one cable to pull the other cable into place. Depending on the cable ends this may or may not work.

According to the '98 200 Horizon parts catalog the cable is most likely the second item. The first number is the Four Winns part number. The description identifies that it is a Teleflex cable. The "CC21415" part number identifies that it is a "CC214" style cable (cable diameter and end connectors) and the last 2 digits identify that the cable is 15 feet long.

041-0117 CABLE, CONTROL TELEFLEX CC21414 14' NLA This should be the throttle cable

041-0118 CABLE, CONTROL TELEFLEX CC21415 15' This should be the shift cable.

The cables are readily available from many marine supply sources and will be maybe $50.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:55 am 

Thanks, yea the cable still works fine, or at least hasn't changed in the past few years
My plan was to let it go assuming no other issues and your post backs that decision up. May order the cable to at least have it ready to go if things get a little tight later.

Thanks again for responding.

Newtown, CT
untitled-545 by millerjont, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:33 pm 

The seals do not keep water out; they are too slack to do that. They do keep grit and sand out though to an effective degree. With a manual shift system, I'd say run it without the seal until it gets too stiff; then stick a TFXtreme cable in as a replacement

For anyone with a VP EVC system though; keep the shift cable and it's seals perfect. Any increased resistance and it'll drop you in it big time ( engine cut out/ no drive when you need it most !)