www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:04 pm 
Minnow

I have a 2000 298 Vista with 5.7 gsi and DPS-M drives (300 hours).
Last summer I had a power steering assist line rub a hole in it. Now I was a ways from home so I grabbed some Lukas power steering stop leak to get me back to the marina but was empty by the time I got back and pump was whining. After replacing the bad line, filling the reservoir and turning the wheel several times from lock to lock to bleed it, the wheel turned rapidly all the way to starboard when motor starts. Also is very difficult to turn back to port. Shut the motor off and it turns easily either way. Extremely harder the when on plane. Two hands just to hold it in one spot. Now I thought I burned my pump up (no whining once full and bled) so I swapped pumps off the port motor. Did not correct the issue. Now I put a brand new pump and reservoir from VP to eliminate the pump or relief valve. Still not corrected. I have unhooked a line and blew threw with out any obstructions either way including the cooler.
Now I never had any issues before the line blew. Has anyone ever come across anything like this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:49 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Sounds like your Stop Leak gummed up the control valve, and the internal spool valve is stuck to one side. (the control valve is the upper part of the actuator where the steering cable goes through).

Maybe you can get it unstuck without disassembly by draining the power steering fluid and filling with Marvel Mystery Oil and trying to cycle it back and forth a few times (with the engine running). Make sure you try to go even farther to Starboard then it goes by itself, as well as going all the way to port.

However, I think there's a good chance it will need to come apart and get cleaned with solvent.

Ray

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:51 pm 
Minnow

I second Ray. This sounds like an issue within the steering actuator mounted on the (inside) transom - Like Ray said what your steering cable goes into. I have a 1999 Sundowner, and it was quite a chore to remove. I needed a long 1/2" breaker bar with a head that rotated more than 180 degrees to get the last mounting bolt out. I ended up getting the breaker bar from auto zone. It was a real pain the first time - I think I had over 20 hours in just trying the get the stupid thing out of the boat - the one bolt was the issue. I had plans in place to have the engine pulled, but the breaker bar saved the day there.

Also note that there is also a seal rebuild kit for these cylinders on Ebay. I removed mine because it was leaking. My problem had nothing do do with this back and fort actuator, and the rebuild (that I purchased) didn't touch it.

I have lots of photos of this, but can't get them up to photobucket at the moment.

Tim

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:08 pm 
Minnow

Thank you for the replies. I do have a new actuator the marina will let me try but its going to be chore to swap out. Seems Four wins used aluminum cotter pins in the 2 stainless bolts for mounting. They broke off trying to remove them.
if I cant get the pins out I will have to pull the motor, not a good way to start the season off.
I don't know how and debris would get into the closed system, the hose did not "blow" it rubbed a pin hole in it from vibration( now taken care of by a zip tie).
I will try to flush it with something that does not eat the seals before trying to replace the actuator.

Thank you again.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:57 am 
email admin your custom rank

grf_1000 wrote:
I don't know how and debris would get into the closed system, the hose did not "blow" it rubbed a pin hole in it from vibration( now taken care of by a zip tie).
I will try to flush it with something that does not eat the seals before trying to replace the actuator.

I think the "stop leak" is the issue. Here is a nice article on why you shouldn't use it: http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/225
but I do agree you could try to use marvel mystery oil or similar before trying to replace the actuator (or rebuild the attached control valve).

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:31 pm 
Minnow

UPDATE:
I found the problem. The steering actuator had a stuck valve. I replaced it with a new "old stock" and everything is back to normal. Even though Four Winns used aluminum cotter pins in the stainledd bolts for mounting. Now that was fun.