www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:51 pm 
Starfish

I bought the 1999 245 sundowner last year "has 5.7gsi and DP outdrive" I had all bellows replaced and outdrive serviced. Im reading through my manual and says driveshaft should be greased every season. Im fairly certain my driveshaft should have grease fittings,So I was thinking of getting it done today,since the weather is against me to put in anyway.
I tried to look up videos on how to remove and as far as I can tell,Looked fairly strait forward. Looked like the guy disconnected the linkage in back,Unbolted the trim arms,and removed 6 nuts from the outdrive and pulled apart. That easy?

Did look like you had to remove any bellows or anything else, Anything else im missing?

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:55 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Also remove back cap to disconnect shift cable.

Be prepared, the drive is pretty hefty.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:23 pm 

Here is a link to the Volvo DP-SM repair manual:

http://boatinfo.no/lib/volvo/manuals/sx ... ve.html#/0

Removal and Installation instructions begin on page 227. The instructions recommend using a hoist and lifting eye in the dipstick hole or using a sterndrive jack. I recommend the sterndrive jack. I have heard that the outdrive weighs approximately 80 pounds, so it is very difficult to "muscle" off and on without a lift or stand.

The grease zerk on the right side of the Transom Shield is for greasing the gimbal bearing. This can be done with the outdrive in place. The driveshaft universal joints may or may not have grease zerks and be re-greaseable. The only way to tell is to pull the outdrive and look. It is possible to replace the non-greaseable u joints with greaseable ones, if desired or needed.

You might use your smart phone to take pictures as you go. This especially applies to the shift cable connection inside the back cover on the outdrive. This is an adjustment that can affect whether or not it shifts into forward or reverse.

You will not have to remove bellows unless they need replacement. The upper bellows is for the driveshaft. It is critical that this upper bellows does not leak and allow water inside it. Water will be visible as either water or a light tan colored foam. Look closely at the right side of the front end of the bellows to see if the hose clamp worm screw has started to wear a hole in the bellows. Also, look for weather checking (surface cracks) in the rubber bellows.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:33 pm 

Here are some instructions I used to make a drive stand. I highly recommend it. As they said, the DP-SM is a heavy drive and this really helps maneuver it.

http://clubsearay.com/showthread.php/25 ... tand-CHEAP!

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:54 am 
Starfish

Some great info!
I did tackle it earlier today,,and yes it is Heavy! "I'll be feeling it for a few days im sure!"
I did have greaseable Ujoints,So I got that done,Greased the gimbal,splined and oiled the Orings.
Fought a bit to get it back on,But I got it. I did grease the lip of the Ujoint bellow,but dont think I put any on the bearing carrier hub "The part on the stern where the drive shaft comes out"
I see it says to grease it,Does that help to seal or just a precaution that it doesnt stick to it and easier removal next time?
I know that is pretty important that it doesnt leak,Is that what seals it up,,that pinion bearing carrier edge is pressed into the back of the Ujoint bellow?
I hope its fine!? I didnt finish till late,so tomorrow im going to fire it up in the driveway and make sure everything sounds smooth and it shifts good into forward and reverse.

I guess it's a good thing I did this,As soon as I started I removed the cap of the rod for the trim arms and seen the mechanics from last year never put on one of the E-clips!
So tomorrow im gonna hit up a hardware store and call a few shops to see if I can get one of these clips from somewhere,These fairly common or is this going to be a special order?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:57 am 

ProfitOfDoom wrote:
... I did grease the lip of the Ujoint bellow,but dont think I put any on the bearing carrier hub "The part on the stern where the drive shaft comes out"
I see it says to grease it,Does that help to seal or just a precaution that it doesnt stick to it and easier removal next time?
I know that is pretty important that it doesnt leak,Is that what seals it up,,that pinion bearing carrier edge is pressed into the back of the Ujoint bellow?

Greasing it is more a protection from rust and sticking. The bearing itself is greased from the external grease fitting on the starboard side of the drive. The O-ring seal on the shaft only has to work if the bellows fails and lets water in. Then the O-ring prevents the water from entering the boat. However, if your bellows leaks, it may ruin your U-joints even if water does not get in the boat.

As you noted, you did grease the splines. That is important to do every year (or two at the most) even for those who don't have grease fittings on the u-joints. The most important reason to do it every year is to check that you don't have water in the bellows.

Ray

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:29 pm 

My Cobra weighs about 80 lbs and I bet the DP is heavier due to the larger lower unit and twin props. I use a stand made by Stumpy's Fab works and it is great, because it has a jack and casters on it.
The outdrive R+R yearly in the fall is important maintenance. As noted if you have water in the bellows, you can save yourself a lot of $$$ by fixing that promptly, otherwise you will have more expensive problems. I use Lucas marine grease on the u joints and gimble bearing and OMC/Evinrude triple guard grease on the driveshaft splines.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II