www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fuel issues
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:52 pm 
Seahorse

hello everyone, first i would like to say that i am looking forward to learning as much as possible from everyone on this site. i have belonged to many forums for my different toys and have always loved learning as much as possible from them.
i have recently purchased a 2000 Four Winns 298 vista with volvo 5.0 gi . admittedly i bit off more than i was expecting once i actually got the boat home and started digging in to it. i have already replaced the port engine. when i had the engine out and the outdrive removed i decided to do a little prevenative and did the u joints in both outdrives. i have also tackled the generator a little. i do believe that one of the biggest issues plaguing this boat is that it sat for almost 2 years. currently i am trying to tackle a fueling issue with both motors.when i am trying to give the engines throttle lot get up on plain they are starving for for fuel. it usually starts with the starboard engine first and most often. the port engine will eventually start acting up as well. i have done some reading on the issue and have already taken some steps as far as testing the fuel pumps. so far i have removed both pumps and disassembled them and done the whole cleaning of the canister and removed as much paint as possible. once i put them back together and put them back on the engines i took it out for a drive. now the engines will throttle up and just start to get on plain. usually about 3000 rpms and the starboard motor will cut out. pull the throttles back and it will struggle to stay running and eventually die. cycle the key a few times to reprime and start.i have checked fuel pressure at the L.P. pump and it seems to have none. the next move i made was to isolate from the fuel tanks and ran hoses to gas cans and ran both engines off of them and the same problem. to the touch the pumps don't feel hot at all. the H.P. does have the wine that comes and goes. the wine was very noticeable before i disassembled the pumps to clean them. now it comes and goes and isn't near as noticeable. actually i could live with it compared to the way it was. anyway i'm seriously just about at my limit with this thing at this point lol. so any help would be great. thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: fuel issues
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:49 am 
email admin your custom rank

Welcome, and sorry to hear of your troubles.

What have you done with the fuel that sat for 2 years?

Have you inspected the fuel regulator on the fuel rail? It has a screen that can foul.

Lack of fuel will cause the HP pump to squeal. You mentioned little pressure at LP pump, are you aware the LP pump is one of the few parts you can actually replace on the pump assembly?

When you ran your test drawing fuel from fuel cans, did you do this test with fresh fuel filters? If not, I strongly suggest you re-test.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:15 am 

Besides cleaning the fuel pressure regulator you might want to pull the injectors and have them cleaned. If I remember correctly the low pressure pump should be 8 psi and the pressure at the fuel rail should be between 50 - 60 psi.

The low pressure pump is not a replaceable item. The high pressure is.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Fuel-Sys ... _id.787193

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:54 am 
Seahorse

Thanks for the replies.... the two year old gas has been removed.
I haven't checked the screen at the regulators yet. Where exactly are they located?
Yeah I knew that the LP pumps are serviceable I was trying to rule out as much as possible before spending the money on them and then have it come back because it ended up. Ring something else

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:17 am 
Seahorse

The boat doesn't have injectors. It's a TBI setup. If you are referring to individual injectors for each cylinder? Or are you referring to the tbi injectors?
noexcuses wrote:
Besides cleaning the fuel pressure regulator you might want to pull the injectors and have them cleaned. If I remember correctly the low pressure pump should be 8 psi and the pressure at the fuel rail should be between 50 - 60 psi.

The low pressure pump is not a replaceable item. The high pressure is.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Fuel-Sys ... _id.787193

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:43 pm 

Sorry, I thought Gi/GXi was always MPI, I don't think there is any rhyme or reason to Gi vs GXi when it comes to fuel delivery. Looks like the early model Gi/GXi were TBI and later models became MPI.

Here's the MPI schematic for the 5.7 Gi-C which is the same system for a bunch of GXi engines.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Fuel-Sys ... _id.769085

Here is the schematic for a 5.0 GXi-A which is TBI. Mine are GXi-E which is MPI.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Fuel-Sys ... _id.778934

Looks like TBI and MPI both use the same crappy painted fuel pump assembly. I'm not familiar with the TBI but I don't see a fuel pressure regulator on the TBI diagram.

I don't have any other advice for TBI other than making sure you removed all the paint and tested both of the pumps.

This guy will remove the paint, test and rebuild your pump assembly for $250.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=surQ8gGa2u4&app=desktop

Here is another video of him testing fuel pressure on an MPI Volvo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGWY6q_ ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:37 pm 
Seahorse

so i went ahead and removed both pumps again. the low pressure pump was making 5-8 psi when i bench tested it the first time. now it doesnt seem to make 5-8 on the guage but it is still pumping just as much fuel. went ahead and dissambled the entire unit again. can anyone tell me what gaskets i need for putting the resivoir canister back together. i.e. the four orings that go around the outside of the fuel canister (inner canister) that seals it from the water coolong canister (outer canister)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:58 pm 
Goldfish

I have the same boat with the same issue. I have been through everything you have I've actually rebuilt and clean fuel pump I have good pressure at the pump on both of them. One thing you could check his anti-siphon valve it's at the 90° angle that comes out of the tank. My motor runs right up to 3000 RPMs and then falls on its face runs absolutely perfect at idle and rake up to 3000rpm
If I go past that it just bogged down and then if I pull the throttle back it runs perfect if I go past that it just bogged down and then if I pull the throttle back it runs perfect at 3000 rpm.
I'm having a guy check the timing and check computer for codes.

Also send me a PM I have extra seals that I ordered to rebuild fuel pump

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:01 pm 
Seahorse

i eliminated the anti-siphon valves when i ran each motor off of individual gas cans and still had the problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:27 pm 
Goldfish

Yep forgot that. I'm stuck also I have a guy coming down to put my engine on the computer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:24 pm 
Seahorse

I have a computer available to me at anytime so if I can figure out the prongs that I need I'm puttin the pump back together and reinstalling. Then going fur another test ride. Only seems to do it at the lake under a load

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:53 am 
Seahorse

update: i purchased two fuel pump rebuild kits that included both LP and HP pumps and all the needed gaskets. runs like a top now. found them on amazon prime for 280 a piece.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:33 pm 

Thanks for the update! These failing pumps seem to manifest in many different forms and failures so it's good to hear you found a cheaper fix

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:31 am 

I would avoid government mandated gas (E10) in the future because that was the culprit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:00 am 

When u bought rebuild kits did they come with new screens? I have a post showing the difference. The old screens were really fine and clogged easily