www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Changing a Prop
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:42 am 
Guppy

Hello,

This past weekend I had a little error in judgement while leaving a public dock with my trim down and nicked a rock. Thankfully we were barely moving and I was able to shut off the engine and bring up the prop. Damage done is a nick out of each blade.

Are you able to change a prop while the boat is in the water? Does it come with any negative affects to the boat or the transom?

Your help is much appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Past
2003 Seadoo GTX 185hp
1996 Seadoo GTX 110hp

Post subject: Re: Changing a Prop
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:07 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I changed mine in the water last year, pretty easy but know that things sink.....I backed to the beach so nothing would get lost, bring a 2x4 or something to hold the prop when tightnening but otherwise pretty simple procedure.

Newtown, CT
untitled-545 by millerjont, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:58 am 
email admin your custom rank

Getting the prop off in the water without dropping a part is not that hard if you're careful. Now after the prop comes off, there is the thrust washer. This often needs to come off to get to the gear oil drain plug which you probably don't need to do anyhow. The thrust washer is usually stuck and you need to pry it off. Just make sure if you take this one off to use a clamp or the cotter pin at the end of the shaft to stop it when it breaks loose-- or else you'll find out why they call that a thrust washer when it shoots off like a rocket and sinks! lol luckily this has never happened to me, but I can remember it happening to me when I used to trailer the boat and it went rolling down the driveway.

You can actually change the drive oil on water if you have a lift and a way to secure a catch bucket. I've done it while floating on a paddle board.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:28 pm 
Guppy

If I am not planning on changing the gear oil do I need to takeoff the Thrust Washer? Thankfully the prop isn't too damaged and only thing I noticed other than cosmetic nicks is the loss of a little speed at top end. I was debating this spring in changing the prop from a 3 to 4 blade as we use our boat more for tubing, wakeboarding or loading the entire family in it for sunset cruises. I guess this is helping to speed up my decision!

Past
2003 Seadoo GTX 185hp
1996 Seadoo GTX 110hp