www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Major Drive Issue
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:23 pm 
Goldfish

LouC wrote:
Now what you have to do is get yourself on a maintenance schedule where the drive is removed once a year at the end of the season for the normal maintenance checks. This way you can avoid any further issues. This is what I do with mine and even with 100% salt water use (moored in salt water 14 seasons 6 months out of the year); I have not had major drive problems.
Replaced:
Bellows 2x, gimble once, trim hoses and a few seals on the drive. The rest is all OE including the U joints. Going on 30 years old!

I also recommend checking the drive oil for water each season when you change it.

Good call. I thought they were doing this already (or maybe they just told me they were...).

2008 Toyota 4Runner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:35 pm 
Livin' the Dream

mttpalmer wrote:
LouC wrote:
Now what you have to do is get yourself on a maintenance schedule where the drive is removed once a year at the end of the season for the normal maintenance checks. This way you can avoid any further issues. This is what I do with mine and even with 100% salt water use (moored in salt water 14 seasons 6 months out of the year); I have not had major drive problems.
Replaced:
Bellows 2x, gimble once, trim hoses and a few seals on the drive. The rest is all OE including the U joints. Going on 30 years old!

I also recommend checking the drive oil for water each season when you change it.

Good call. I thought they were doing this already (or maybe they just told me they were...).

I had one that I suspect did that too, they are out of business now

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:26 pm 
email admin your custom rank

LouC wrote:
Replaced:

As always great advice from Lou.

5.0L Mercruiser, Alpha 1