www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Why is it hot?
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:10 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I'm glad to hear your boat just had a "bug" Changing that impeller sure would be a bitch out on the water, better do it now so you know it's safe. My H200 had an electronic hiccup last year once too! It told me the oil pressure was low and the motor was overheating and it beeped like crazy. My buddy towed me home the last 3 miles and the next day it was OK!!?

I'll answer the easy question first! Yes I have the 25 anniversary sticker on my steering wheel centre. Something about Four Winns starting in 1976? I remember reading something on their website.

I have only had my boat since last October and I don't think I put 1/2 an hour on it! It seems pretty quiet though so I guess the eggshell helps.

My motor's intake is clearly different than yours. Same manifold style but my air intake is on the starboard side facing forward instead of dead centre like yours. I don't have any pictures currently but will get some over the next couple of weeks.

The "Batteries?" Well as soon as I bought the boat I knew I could improve the storage capacity of that rear compartment area. I quickly removed the potable water tank and pump because I knew that it would only end up a PITA because we wouldn't use the water enough and it would go "skunky". I joined the forum and came out with the question about relocating my batteries to the transom hump. Most people said to watch out where I put them so I would avoid "listing". I did not like where the batteries were and I didn't like the location of the battery switch it was too hard to get at without rapping your knuckles on the step.After much deliberation and examination (becareful the transom hump is a double layer of plywood on the front but the top is just fibreglass!), I decided to place my two deep cycles right at the rear of those storage compartments, I cut out the piece of fibreglass above the motor (you can see the first hole saw cut and the line in the picture) so I could access that transom hump and promptly relocated the trim pump up there! My starting battery will sit just behind the starboard bulkhead and I moved the battery switch ahead about six inches. I will get pictures you may want to consider this yourself it makes the world of difference for storage space. It' all about organized storage baby!

Here's alink to the start of my battery relocation adventures!

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii100/millhaven_nice_guy/H260%20Battery%20rework/

I also pulled up the carpet and took the cover off the fuel tank so I could clean all the crap out of the grooves and inspect the tank brackets. The foam seal was shot so I spent three hours scraping and cleaning off all the old gasket so I could apply a new one. Now I wish I didn't because it will probably tear when I take it up again to change the impeller!

I will get some more pictures but it will probably take me until next week since I am busy at work plus I need to put the new water pump in my H200 so the guy who just bought it tonight can pick it up on Friday plus they are delivering my new tractor on Friday morning and I have to drive three hours Friday afternoon/evening depending on when we can get out of here to my in-laws for Mother's Day then to my Mom's and finally back home later Sunday evening. BUT... Next week's evenings are going to be all about completing my mods to the H260 so I can use her on the long weekend!

Got any ideas on things you want to change?

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

Post subject: Re: Why is it hot?
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:54 pm 
Lake Michigan - Unsalted

I like the amount of storage you picked up by moving the batteries. I think I want to move them to the port side of my boat. It's not that easy to get to for storage, (lift the long seat and raise the engine cover) and they could take up the space next to the trim pump. I think having under the step as storage would be helpful.

What is the HP rating on the GS compared to my 385 on the GSI? I believe the GSI has a different compression ratio and a hotter cam. When I sea trialed the boat in November before I purchased, I was very pleased with the performance and had a solid 55 on my GPS without triming WAY out. On the right water I should be able to hit 57-58 which is plenty fast in that boat.