www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:16 am 
Guppy

Bought an '88 FW from a neighbor -- 5.0 L Ford........ Question: When winterizing, will simply removing the theremostat, reconnecting the stat housing, and circulating anti-freeze, via "eye muffs", fully protect the engine? ........It would seem using the Conco winterizing device, with the stat out, would be fool-proof ......What say 'yee?

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:57 am 
Just-N-Paradise

I would say yes, that will work

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to retract my statement in the evert of a cracked block

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:16 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Are you sure that's a Ford, my 1988 OMC factory shop manual lists only the Chevy V-8 for the 5.0.
anyway it is not really necessary to remove the thermostat if you do it this way: Run the engine up to temp on the water hose, change the motor oil and filter. Then run it again and fog the engine. Let it cool off and drain all the water from the block drains, manifold drains, and power steering cooler if equipped. Also disconnect the water intake hose at the thermo housing and point it down in the bilge to drain it. Probe each block and manifold drain with a screw, sometimes rust clogs them. Remove the big hose at the front of the engine that connects the thermo housing to the water circulating pump, this drains the pump. Then reconnect the bottom of the hose, and start filling the engine through the top of the hose until a little AF comes out of the block drains, then replace the drain plugs and continue filling till AF comes out the thermo housing, then re-connect the hose at thermo housing. Fill the manifolds through the hoses the same way, when a little AF comes out the drains, replace the plugs and then fill till it runs out the exhaust. Finally fill the raw water intake hose that connects to the therm housing, the AF may start to drain out the water intakes of the drive. Reconnect the water intake hose and manifold hoses to the thermo housing. Don't forget the 86-93 Cobras have 3 drain plugs on the pivot housing that need to be drained of water too, or you can get a cracked housing.

I use the no tox -100 AF full strength, in case there is any water that is still left. This method is safer than sucking it up the drive, which can overheat the motor and burn up the impeller if for some reason the impeller does not suck up the AF fast enough.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II