www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outdrive stuck up...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:11 pm 
email admin your custom rank

My OMC Cobra outdrive is stuck in the upright position. The solenoid clicks, and it will function to go up.

Situation: I must lower the out drive to get the boat properly in the garage. I started to lower it, and stopped to ask my wife a quick question, upon her answering I attempted to continue, however the motor just clicked and would not release. I tried by jogging it up and it will go up and trailer all the way up.

Now it is stuck fully up and will not come down.

My OMC book mentions this in the troubleshooting section

It states:

No tilt-down from full tilt-up position
"Check the o-ring and seal on the thermal expansion valve. Confirm that the valve is not sticking and the spring is not damaged."

It also states:
"Thermal expansion valve sticking or damaged spring. Dirt under check ball."

Any OMC owners had this issue (LouC)???

Any incite to this issue? I am going to check the valve but I want to see if someone has experienced this before!

Thanks!
Rob

Past: 1989 180 Horizon

http://www.robcamerondesign.com

Post subject: Re: Outdrive stuck up...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:22 pm 

I don't have the answer to fixing it, but if you need to get it down in order get it parked ... As a short term measure, remember you can just disconnect the rams and then let it down.

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:49 pm 

I was able to get it working again...

I ran it all the way up and tired jogging it. The 2nd tap on the down button it went right down and acted normal. My concern is this happening on the water this summer.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:24 am 

I had this happen on my H200. I don't recall if the outdrive was stuck up or down, none the less it wouldn't move. I did some electrical testing feeding the solenoid/pump for the outdrive. What I found was that I was getting fluctuating voltages. I traced back from the solenoid and determined that one of the fuses (can't recall either a 30A or 50A big red button)) on the engine block was bad. I replaced it and all was good. The fuse is expensive (~80-100) for my engine, but you can get them at Napa cheaper. They happened to be out so I had to buy from a dealer. I wouldn't go replacing it just to do it but would recommend trouble-shooting some.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:54 am 
Villiage Idiot

Based on what I see posted above, we are not suspecting an electrical prob, but possibly contamination sticking a valve, correct. I would run it up and down many times to free up, whatever. At that point remove the old fluid, and put in new. Maybe pull the lines and flush it through that way. Just a thought.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:09 pm 

The first thing I'd check is all the connections starting with the battery clamps (if you don't have clamps, get rid of the wingnuts, use proper clamps and replace the batt cables if they are original). Make sure both the clamps and the engine ground (bolts to the bellhousing behind the starbord exhaust manifold) are clean, if these are OE cables they are going to be all corroded inside. I replaced all of this about 5 years ago when I put in my dual battery system, the OE ones were crap, all green corrosion inside, I had the place where I bought the cables put cable ends that allowed me to use nuts to bolt the cable end to the battery clamps. Since I did this I have had no battery or electrical issues related to low voltage or excessive resistance.
The trim pump draws a LOT of current so any bad or corroded connections can cause a problem. FW has wiring diagrams on their website (look in customer service, manuals etc).

Now if it is a sticky valve , replacing the fluid (probably uses auto trans fluid) would be a good idea. I had mine done about 4 years ago because I had to get all the trim lines replaced because one got cut by barnacles (lovely salt water issues!)

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:28 pm 

I had an issue just now picking mine up from winter storage. I put the battery back in, and tried to raise the outdrive. It seemed to not be getting any power. It ended up being the two relays on the trim pump had a bit of corrosion, if you would even call it that, on them. A quick shot of electrical contact cleaner fixed it right up. Now I'm off to Lowes for some No-Lox to put on it and it should be good to go for years to come.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:40 pm 

Walt wrote:
Based on what I see posted above, we are not suspecting an electrical prob, but possibly contamination sticking a valve, correct. I would run it up and down many times to free up, whatever. At that point remove the old fluid, and put in new. Maybe pull the lines and flush it through that way. Just a thought.

your on the money.

It is defiantly not an electrical issue, however there are others to be cleaned up on the boat, I know by the solenoid clicking.

I did get it to go down, I am leaving it so i can put keep the boat in the garage for now. I am thinking it is simply time to flush it out. Looks like that is next weeks project.