www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: whining noise from motor
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:11 am 
Minnow

heard this noise at dock. 5 min later stalled while underway. no restart now any ideas? where is my fuel pump? 99 horizon 240 5.7 gsi duoprop
thanks, eric

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:41 pm 
Minnow

I also have a 98 Horizon 240 w/VP 5.7GSi and just had the same thing happen to me today. I really think it's the fuel pump. It was squeeling in a way I hadn't heard before and then the motor cut out. Have you had any luck?

-Matt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:59 am 
email admin your custom rank

I went thru very similar thing a few weeks ago. It turned out to be the low pressure fuel pump, I ordered a new one and it took less than half an hour to replace. I ordered it from Boatfix and paid around $150.

Here is the schematic, if you click on the pic it will enlarge. The low pressure pump is #43 and is located at the fuel filter. Good luck!!

http://www.marinepowerservice.com/BoatingStore/lookup_parts_volvo4.cfm?profileID=122957&parent_cat=450483&parent_cat1=450499

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:31 pm 

Last couple of trips out, I noticed a strange whining noise coming from the engine compartment. Can't tell from exactly where. It only seems to happen at idle or low running RPM's. A couple of times while under way at idle, the engine kind of stumbles and may or may not stale. Starts again no problem, but by the sounds of things, the problem is going to get worse. When running at a higher RPM, the whine goes away. Other than that, the boat runs great and there is no indication of any other problems. I suspected the fuel pump, and from what I have read here, I think I am on the right track.

Past:
1999 225 Sundowner
5.7 GSi SX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:54 am 
wkearney99

Fuel pump problems can be a devil to diagnose. The usual symptom is lack of power on demand. A large increase in fuel draw overcomes the pump's ability and the engine stumbles. But put it in neutral and rev up the engine and it increase fine. It's the load of pushing the boat that increases the draw. Most commonly the pump starts to whine. They're usually not terribly expensive and relatively easy to replace.

Also, if you haven't already, check and change your fuel filters. Gunk getting past the filters (due to them being clogged and thus worn-through) is probably the number one reason for pump failure.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:11 pm 

Picked up a new VP low pressure fuel pump for $275. (Cdn) and finally installed it a couple of weeks ago. Straight forward and easy to do. What a difference!! Not only was the boat occasionally stalling, but it is now apparent it was lacking in performance as well. Had no idea how it was being held back. Whining is gone and the boat performed like it was just off the showroom floor.

Try to keep the fuel system as clean as possible by adding fuel stabilizer to a full tank and installing a new filter every winter lay up. Guess it was "time" for the pump to be replaced; 256hrs on a 1999.

Past:
1999 225 Sundowner
5.7 GSi SX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:23 pm 

I have a 2006 VP 5.7 duoprop. About 2 months ago i noticed a low level whine from the engine compartment. The FW service dept at my dealer said some fuel pumps just do that, recommended no action, and didn't charge me for the visit. It's out of the 2 year full FW warranty but under the 5 year VP warranty. There have been no other problems, no loss of power.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:01 am 
268 Vista

Good answers, too bad the "drive by" original poster did not respond. I hate it when that happens. :evil:

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:18 pm 
Seahorse

I had similar issue few weeks back, trolled most of the day, 1 engine almost stalled, whining noise started spuratically, changed out fuel filter and have not heard whine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:17 pm 
Minnow

was just the wire connection on the pump, 4 zip ties been gitin r done since. sorry for the delayed response, i actually didnt even remember making a post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:20 pm 
Seahorse

I am pretty sure the whine you are hearing is the high pressure pump cavitating because of a lack of flow from the low pressure pump. I just bought my Horizon 230 with the VP 5.7L GXI and when I went to test it out before signing over the check, I noticed the whine while idling on the trailer. I made the seller rev up the engine and sure enough, it would not even rev up with out stumbling. He replaced the pump and the problem completely went away and there is no noticeable fuel pump noise at all now. On my engine the low pressure and high pressure pump are all built into one piece. At least that is what he told me he had to replace; I never studied it closely. There is also a fuel pressure port on the fuel rail that you can connect a pressure gauge to. If you see the pressure drop significantly when you increase engine load, then you have a fuel pressure problem. The whine is a very good indication that you need to investigate why.

Towed by: 2007 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 LTZ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:36 pm 

The boat techs are loving al gore and his E-10 crap (soon to be E-15). Keep your invoice so that when the class action lawsuits against the government take place, you can get reimbursed. Our cars are gonna be next.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:44 pm 

298VISTA2000 wrote:
The boat techs are loving al gore and his E-10 crap (soon to be E-15). Keep your invoice so that when the class action lawsuits against the government take place, you can get reimbursed. Our cars are gonna be next.

No Sh#@!. I've already had both of my Echo's,( back-pack blower and string-trimmer)'s carb diaphrams take a crap due to corn-fuel. I now only run Coleman Camp-Stove Fuel in anything small-engined. Yes, it's 10 bucks a gallon, but they crank everytime.....Nothing worse than yanking a cord in 90-Degree heat 100 times................

Jimbo
Na. Ga.

2000 170 Horizon LS
4.3GL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:05 pm 
230 Mike

ridepate wrote:
I now only run Coleman Camp-Stove Fuel in anything small-engined. Yes, it's 10 bucks a gallon, but they crank everytime...

OK now this is new to me. I thought that stuff was just kerosene, more or less?

Just bought a new Echo trimmer myself yesterday (SRM-230). Good stuff, but it's got big shoes to fill after the $75 Sam's Club Homelite that served me well for 20 years.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:32 pm 

Jimbo,

Go to your local airstrip and buy AvGas - will be much cheaper than $10 a gallon!! AvGas has absolutely no Ethanol in it and never will as the plane carbs will freeze with it, so is illegal to use. It also still has lead in it which older engines will love!

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport