www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:11 pm 
Minnow

Hi guys,
Is there a kit that will allow me to flush the motor (5.7 GSi) while the boat is in the water? I have my boat dryslipped at a saltwater marina and the dock hands do a crappy job flushing the motor when they pull the boat out, so I want to flush it at the dock myself.. There is a fresh water supply hose available on the dock. I know about nuetra-salt but I was thinking that putting a two way valve on the intake hose before the raw water pump and running a fresh water hose to the valve would be the best way. Any good ideas? It pains me to leave the boat at the dock with saltwater in the motor.

Thanks
Matt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:16 am 
email admin your custom rank

You could fit the flushing components from the later motors; those allow the motor to be flushed when the engine is running.

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/VP_Sc ... Hoses0.pdf

It's basically a T-piece that fits in the hose just before the raw water pump inlet, that allows a fresh water hose to be attached.

Neutrasalt also works very well, judging from the state of the water galleries in my risers/ manifolds after 4 seasons use in salt water ( my motor has the closed cooling system, so it's only corrosion of those items I have to worry about thankfully!).

Graham

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:38 am 

I use that fitting to flush my motor out of the water. Can I use that fitting and run it in the water too? I thought I read somewhere to use and run using this fitting out of the water only.

Previous Boats:
2006 255 Sundowner 5.7GXI-G
2000 CrownLine 202BR
1994 Baja 180 Islander
1980 Galaxy 18' BR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:50 am 

Yes,

That fitting can be used when the boat is in the water, but you're supposed to run it only at idle speed I believe (as it doesn't actually shut of the salt water supply from the outdrive, if the hose is incapable of providing enough fresh water at higher RPM, the pump would just suck in salt water with the fresh). There was an earlier engine flush set up that was meant to be used only when the engine was not running.

Graham

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:40 am 

I actuall have 2 flush ports, the one listed above and another in the ski locker on the transom. They don't supply water to the same place. It looks like the other one just flushes the outdrive from what I see.

Previous Boats:
2006 255 Sundowner 5.7GXI-G
2000 CrownLine 202BR
1994 Baja 180 Islander
1980 Galaxy 18' BR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:03 am 

All I have in the ski locker on mine is the drain (on the starboard side). Seems strange to have a flush line specifically for the outdrive, since when you connect up the one in the engine compartment, once the engine is not running, it flushes the outdrive anyhow; there is no check valve in the hose from the outdrive to the water pump to prevent water flow to the outdrive, at least there isn't on mine!

Edit; just remembered, FW used to offer their own engine flush out kit, that had a sticker stating it should not be used when the boat is out of the water. Still don't understand why they would fit it when the VP engines had a flush out kit as standard!

Graham

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:40 pm 

Graham --- where is the VP engine flush out -- I only have the Four Winns one on the transom which has the sticker which says "NOT TO USE WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING" --- Which I do not observe -- Mine T's into the line in front of the sea water pump, like the sketch above -- I do watch my temps of course -- and it seems to do a better job than using muffs.
(especially since I have low water pressure at home where I use the muffs)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:59 pm 

Dale,

I have no idea where the FW flush kit fits; I've only seen it in the price lists for the UK boats, The parts listed on the FW website are not very informative, I have often ( but to be honest, not very often) wondered why it was offerend on 2004 VP equipped boats that had the VP flush kit as standard ( taking advantage of gullible customers, a cynic might imagine!)

All the VP flush kit comprises of is a hose/ T piece very close to the water pump inlet; once the engine is stopped, it flushes out the outdrive,

Graham