www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:11 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I've been thinking of getting a hydrofoil (doel-fin) for my 91' 255 Sundowner. I fancy the thought of getting on plane quicker, getting better MPG's because the engine fights less to stay up on plane, and potentially higher top end speed! Im looking at the Stingray XR2 ($59), that is a cheap performance improver, if you ask me!

Does anybody use a hydrofoil on their boat, and could you post your experience or recommendations?

379 hours as of 8/8/21

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:12 pm 
Nauti Luv

While I have no experience, I have heard MANY people say not to use them because they can put a lot of undue stress on the transom of the boat. I would rather play with prop angles/pitch to change the overall performance of my boat.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:25 am 

I've had hyrdofoils on both my boths have been happy with both. My first boat was a 18ft Larson with the 4.3 V6 and VP SX drive. I had the Sting Ray XR3 which I think is probably the top of the line hydrofoil on the market. Immediate noticable improvement. Quicker holeshot and getting on plane. Really helped when I had a full boat load as well.

I hadn't planned on a hyrdrofoil with my current boat, but found that with a full load of folks I struggled to get on plane to the point of having to move folks forward. Plus I was often suffering from prop blowout in turns while pulling tubes unless I had the drive completely trimmed down. I tried modifying the XR3 from my old boat to fit my current boat, but couldn't make it work. I have the 5.0 and VP SX drive, but VP changed the design so the exhaust exits through the cavitation plate. So instead I went with the SE Sport 300, and again immediate noticable improvement. Quicker holeshot and getting on plane, I get on plane easier with a full load, and no more blowout in hard turns. I'd like to say there is an improvement in fuel efficiency and top speed as well, but I can't say for sure. It feels faster and more economical, but I don't track my fuel THAT closely and seldom run my boat at WOT.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:33 pm 

I have been playing with the idea of putting them on my Liberator with twin King Cobras. I have had them on my other boats with great success. I experimented with my others by taking them off. My FiberForm was a bad ass little boat, but when I took off the foil, it sucked on power and fuel mpg. Our 18ft bayliner capri had a harder time getting on plane with or without a heavy load.

My Lib does really good, but I wonder how much better it could be and the fact it's twins.

03 Stingray 3.0
88 261 Liberator 460 King Cobras
95 Bayliner 1850 3.0
77 Fiber Form 20ft 350/385hp
70 Wescraft 1800 SS 455 Jet

Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the Way!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:02 pm 

Have you looked at trim tabs instead? Those may be better for the size/weight that you have.

Current boat: 2011 Yamaha AR210
Previous boat: 1998 Horizon RX 4.3GL SX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:06 pm 

I have a stingray xp1 (first edition). Shoot me a pm if you're interested and we can work something out. I had it on my 86 H190 and it definately helped get the boat up on plane quicker. I only had it for a season and then sold the boat, but I took it off before I sold, so it's just sitting in the garage. My H200 with a 5.7 has plenty of giddeeup, so no need for it. If money's no object, I would look at their XR3 or the SE Sport 300.