www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Break-in
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:51 am 
Starfish

I have read a few post about the break in period for a new boat and thought I was all set. I went and picked up my boat last week and when talking to the sales man as I went over the boat he stated that you only need a 5 hour break in period. I asked about the 20 hour service and he said not necessary. Just have it done at the end of the season and that the 20 hour service was away for dealers to make some money off service. He also said that Merc removed any mention of 20 hour break in period and felt Volvo would follow. I asked if it would void my warranty by not doing the 20 hour service and he said no.

I thought I would just get everyone’s opinion on this subject.

I have a 06 Horizon 200 with Volvo 5.0GL/SX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:56 am 
2007 200 Horiz

I got the same information from the service people as well with my Volvo. They told me to just check the oil at the 20 hour mark and see if it had tinted or was still clear.
I am following however waiting till at least the 20 hours to not pull any skiers or tubes to allow the engine to settle itself in the boat and not really work her too hard until there is that borken in period.

So I really don't know which way to go, but I plan at the 20 hour mark to do a good check of the oil, engine and other fluids and if things are good why take it in.
But each to their own and more experienced Boaters on this forum will have more insight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:26 am 
McLovin

I think because of the new synthetic oils they can go further. personally I will be changing my oil at 20 hours and then ever season. The manual actually says 200 hours between oil changes now !!!!!!!!! I think i will be playing it safe at doing it atleast every 100 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:57 am 
email admin your custom rank

Did that salesman talk about his source for that info? I'd like to see some type of publication from Merc/Volvo about a 5 hour break-in v. a 20-hour break in, as well as the necessity of an actual 20-hour service performed by the dealer. I'm hopefully getting my new Horizon 220 in a couple of weeks, and I really don't want to wait until June or July to wakeboard behind it, but I won't be boarding behind it after 6 hours just because my sales guy said it was OK. I'd be pretty unhappy if something went wrong because of my relying on the sales guy, who just happens to not work there anymore or not remember that conversation when I have a warranty repair to make on an engine that was only broken in for 5 hours.

So, if you have seen a publication, please let us know where we can get it. I actually have to talk to my sales guy today to get a delivery status update, so I'll ask him the same ? and see what he says. I'll update afterwards.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

Post subject: Re: Break-in
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:11 am 
Andiamo

willidg wrote:
I asked about the 20 hour service and he said not necessary.

I always thought that one of the more important reasons for the 20 Hr Oil change was to remove any particles of metal shavings that may be in the gearcase, and that after 20 hrs or so, you change the oil and your off to a "Clean Start". Maybe it's not applicable any more, or maybe it never was applicable and I was just a sucker that went along with what they told me. If there is any question about it, I would change the oil anyway. It's quick, easy and inexpensive enough to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:05 pm 
Starfish

I have not seen any publications to support the 5 hour break-in. I believe what he claimed to be quoting was the Merc manual for 07 boats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:20 pm 
230 Mike

There really are only two aspects to the 20 hour break-in as far as I was able to tell: 1) to go easy on the engine, gradually working it in, and 2) changing the oil at the end of that process.

Simple, but I wouldn't take any shortcuts in that process, especially on the word of a salesman. Boat engines work FAR harder than car engines, and lead a much harder life in general. Don't make it even worse by starting it off on the wrong foot.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:24 pm 
email admin your custom rank

You can find reports online of most race teams use hard break-ins. In other words drive it like you stole it out of the box. here just one of a million links on this topic.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:44 pm 
Narwhal

I recall reading posts over at Boating ABC, about Dealers being able to pull performance info from a chip in the engine, for analysis purposes. It was said that manufacturers can use this recorded info to void warranties, if proper break in procedures were not followed.

To me, the break in detailed in the Volvo Engine manual does not seem excessive or restrictive. 5 - 10 minutes of fast idle. Minimal planing for the rest of the first 2 hours, with some 2 -3 minute 3/4 throttle runs mixed in. Then 3/4 throttle or less for the next 8 hours, with occasional 2-3 minute Full throttle runs. Last 10 you can mix in up to 5 - 10 minutes of full throttle.

For me, that's almost business as usual after the first two hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:59 pm 
Seahorse

Broke my '04 4.3L in By The Book, slow varying throttle, never wide open. Changed oil at 20 hrs along with outdrive oil. I am a firm believer in oil changes and do it after every season now. BUT, read new post "2004 4.3 Diesels". All that pampering and it still ain't running right!!