www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: gimble bearing questions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:20 pm 
Minnow

so i just had my boat winterized from the place i bought it... i had them do the whole nine yards to it.. inspect the out drive,cooling system, oil change, filters water separator etc etc... on the invoice it says to have the gimble bearing and bellows replaced in the spring.. why the F**K wouldn't you say something to me while you had the out drive off if it showed wear.. the boat is 92 with 500 hours on it.. Is this something i should have done or are they just trying to get my $$$ .... boat ran great all year long.. i bought it used so who knows if any service was done to the bearing or anything else for that mater.. the boat is in tip top shape throughout so i dont think they would have slacked on the service side...what should it cost me if i get it done?? and what will happen (if anything) if i just let it go and get someone else to look at it next time i get it winterized...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:17 pm 
email admin your custom rank

What will happen? Well if your bellows is or should start leaking you will end up with problems, that could amount to $$$$. You can check your own bellows just trim the drive up all the way and check the bellows for dryness or cracks. Not sure about he gimbal haven't had to deal with that.

1997 225 Sundowner

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:19 pm 
230 Mike

I would start by asking them why they recommended that. Did they hear it making noise? Did they see evidence of a problem when they had the drive off? If they have a specific reason, I would ask why they didn't let you know that before reinstalling the drive, and let them know you won't be paying the labor again to R&R the drive.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:39 pm 

230 Mike wrote:
I would start by asking them why they recommended that. Did they hear it making noise? Did they see evidence of a problem when they had the drive off? If they have a specific reason, I would ask why they didn't let you know that before reinstalling the drive, and let them know you won't be paying the labor again to R&R the drive.

+1 that is ridiculous why would they not tell you before reinstalling! I would definitely speak to the service manager because that sounds like they just want some money once it's time to put her back in the water to me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:59 pm 

Not that I know what they saw but it is always best to change the bellows before they leak, usually will cost you a lot less money than to change after they have been leaking. OMCs/VPs are pretty simple, Mercs are a bit more complicated. Usually the gimbal takes 5 minutes out and in once the drive is off, but sometimes they can get stuck or break. Its not uncommon for a bellows job on a merc to run between $500 and $1200 at a marina depending on what else they find wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:18 pm 
230 Mike

I agree with being proactive with the bellows, but why replace the gimbal before it shows any signs of needing it (unless past maintenance has been suspect, etc.)?

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:59 pm 

I'd want to know what they saw, if they saw water in there, and the bearing was rough, it did not make sense to put the drive back on, only to have to remove it to do the repairs. I pull my drive each fall after I winterize to check just that. If I found water I'd fix it then, not wait to the spring when everyone is rushing to get their boats ready. I had my bellows done on my OMC back in 05, I may change it this winter to be on the safe side.....I think to do the bellows and gimble the last time was around 500 or so...

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:00 pm 

No disrespect intended but the original poster said he asked to have the drive and other things checked. Was the drive removed or have we all assumed it was? It could be a simple communication miss match. If in fact they did have the drive off, THATS the time to call the customer and explain they would save the cost of another re & re if repaired now. As a licenced tech I will ALWAYS call my customers and give them the cheaper labor option if I find something else when I have something opened up.

IF that drive WAS off, find another repair facility. They're basically stealing from you.

And a lot of others.

Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:32 am 
Shark

I just replaced my bellow. I did it four years ago too. It's a $55 dollar part and I did it myself. Bearing was changed in 2008 and is still good. Maintenance of the bellow is extremely important, especially if you slip the boat. You may show up some day and find your boat on the bottom.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:06 pm 
Minnow

it says right in the list of things they charged me for.. "remove the drive to grease universal joints, engine coupler, gimble bearing and all lube points"