www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:45 pm 
Goldfish

Hi Guys, quick question for you Volvo folks, I had the spark plugs replaced as part of the winterization program. Boat runs fine, however it seemed to idle better with the old plugs, problem being, don't know what was in there before hand.

Engine is 1996 Volvo 5.0 Fi = Ford 302 Block

Currently in there are AC Delco MR43 LTS, sticker on the engine indicates any of the following

MotorCraft AWSF32C
Champion RS12YC
AC Delco R44LTS

From what I can gather the Delco plugs that the marina installed are not too bad. When I called a Volvo dealer (not the one I use) they suggest to go strictly with the Volvo plug which is a NGK made to their specifics.

What is one to do, hence, looking for your feedback. In the mean time I'm going to e-mail the previous owner to see if he recalls what plugs he had in there.

As Always Thanks in Advance

Bruce

Last edited by bgiles on Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:17 pm 
Mental Floss

What engine and year? When I replaced mine, the dealer recommended the non-platinum plugs. Platinum plugs came from the factory, that's what I replaced them with.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:38 pm 
Goldfish

Hi there, sorry about that

Engine is 1996 Volvo 5.0 Fi = Ford 302 Block

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:17 am 
email admin your custom rank

Well, you could follow the oldschool rule:

GM block - Delco Plugs

Ford block - Motorcraft Plugs

That is what I stick to. No scientific reason, just following manufacturers brands.

The only thing to be certain of is the heat range of the plug. You are running Delco MR43 LTS, which is one heat range lower than the recommended plug (the 2nd digit, 3, is the heat range of the plug) according to the sticker on the engine. If you run a plug that is too "cold", you could foul the plugs earlier than they should. The teltale sign would be carbon buildup on the plug itself. I would suspect that if you are only one away from the recommended heat range, then you will be just fine.

Here is a little reader on plugs. It is a motorcycle site, but the same rules apply; http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/spkplghnbook.htm

An interesting side note: the garage that I used to work in used NGK plugs almost exclusively, with excellent results (meaning no unhappy customers). Maybe Volvo is on to something? :)

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:09 am 

I'm a big fan of NGK's as well. I had a 1991 Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo that I replaced the plugs in with Bosch plugs-per dealer recommendation. Car never really ran as good, then I went to NGK's and it ran like it had prior to the plug install. IMHO, they are the very best plug out there.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:31 pm 
Goldfish

Hi Guys, just a quick update, I went to the Volvo dealer I was talking with earlier in the week about the Volvo plugs. Turns out that for my particular engine the Volvo plug is a Champion RS12YC which is one of the plugs identified on the engine. I went ahead and bought 8 of these to try out since this is what Volvo recommended.

I sent an e-mail to the previous owner to see what he had been using, good chance they were Champion - who knows. I questioned the fella about the comment the other day about Volvo plugs being NGK, apparently it wasn't the same guy, perhaps NGK are used in some cases and Champion in others.

Just thought I would pass that along

Take Care

Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:38 pm 

When I bought my boat last year, I pulled one of the existing plugs to see what was installed so I could buy a spare set for my on-board tool box. I found they were the Champion RS12YC that you mentioned.

Rod

Past:
1999 225 Sundowner
5.7 GSi SX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:25 pm 
Goldfish

Boys, you won't believe it (or maybe you would) the old don't assume anything rule has come into play. Here I am taking the word of the invoice and actually calling up my marina to get the cross reference of the code identified on the bill. As I reported earlier was AC Delco plugs.

Well, I just finished actually removing one of the plugs that was put in new this year and it's a NGK TR5. Checked a couple of more plugs without having to remove them since the NGK have a screw on tip which is open on the end so you can quickly feel with your finger.

Another prime example of running around etc. for no reason if I had only removed one of the plugs right from the start. I was optimistic when the fellas had indicated that the Volvo plug was a NGK but then disappointed to a degree when they turned out to be Champion.

I had heard a lot of people supporting the NGK and wanted to give them a try. However, in my case now, mind you I have only really been out a few times, it seems to idle a little smoother with whatever plug was in there last year.

Anyhow, we'll give these NGK's a little more time to prove themselves before switching to the Champions I just purchased. Getting at these are a challenge to say the least, the number 2 plug is almost impossible to get at, I'll have to use the socket and an open end wrench to loosen it. I can see aggravation written all over that one.

For what it's worth the plug I removed was brand new so there was no "shannigans" going on. I thought of that too - leave the old plugs in and charge the guy for new ones. The Marina I deal with are top notch, I have no reason to think otherwise.

That's about it for now

Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:41 pm 
Narwhal

Maybe they adjusted your idle RPM too? Sometimes a boat's sweet spot is not the factory RPM. Only other thing I can think of is the gap on the plugs, although I can not imagine anybody trying anything other than the factory specified gap. Maybe pull an easy to get plug and put a feeler gauge on it just to be certain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:53 pm 
Goldfish

Thanks for the suggestions Jim, while the plug was out I did indeed measure the gap and it was what it should be - .035. It's an EFI setup so I think the ECM decides all the variables on it's own. The other thing that it could of been was some old gas from sitting in the garage during the winter even with stabilizer in it -who knows.

I'll be giving it a good run on Saturday so we'll see how it behaves, as I say, nothing serious, it just seemed to idle a little smoother while in gear before the plug switch.

Bruce

Last edited by bgiles on Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:27 pm 
Goldfish

Just a follow up - took the boat for a 5 hour cruise today through a couple of locks visiting 2 seperate lakes. It ran like a champ and it idled in neautral and in gear just like last year. Maybe it was suspect gas - who knows.

Feel Better Now - we'll leave the NGK's in there

Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:49 am 

Ah ha!

She was just mad at ya for keepin' her high and dry for the winter!

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:57 pm 

Some further info;

1999 5.7 GSi; Champion RS12YC, but may not have been original as boat was 2+ years old when I got it (and RS12YC in the Volvo boxes)

2004 5.7GXi; Original AC 41-932 25328284, replacements in the Volvo boxes Champion RS12PYP.

Regards,

Graham

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:22 pm 
Sting Ray

Some info on the 7.4L Gi engines. Mine had AC MR43LTS which is a marine plug and translates to a Champion RS12YC which is a regular automotive plug. I'm surprized that different size engines use the same plug.

1998 258 Vista 7.4Gi Duoprop