www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tips for trailering
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:54 am 

2 very helpful tips for newbies:

1. When backing up place your hand at the bottom the steering wheel and turn your hand in the direction you wish the trailer to go.

2. If you have a 5-prong trailer connector and your tow vehicle is only equipped with a 4-prong connector, it become impossible to backup without the trailer brakes engaging.

TIP-B4 backing up, plug the single male prong (that is normally exposed when plugged into the 4-prong connector) into the first female connector on the tow vehicle (usually on the left side), then turn on your lights and brakes will disengage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:19 pm 
Goldfish

So the blue wire is to the trailer brakes? I have the 5 prong on the trailer and 4 on my truck. Was wondering what that wire did :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:58 pm 
Guppy

I haven't even been on the site a day and I'm already learning. I never knew what the blue wire was for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:44 pm 
Mental Floss

Here are a couple learned on the hard.

1. Have several 12"x12"x2" boards with you. If you have a flat and pull off the road and you need to jack up the trailer on the shoulder you will need to put one or several under your jack otherwise the jack won't lift the boat but rather bury itself in the ground.

2. Be anal about trailer maintenance. It's much easier to repair at home than on the roadside.

3. Get a IR thermometer from Radio Shack (about $30). When you stop for a break shoot the hub temps and sidewall temps. Safer than touching the hubs to check their temps and you can easily see any changes or odd hubs. You will soon learn what is normal and be able to spot a problem before it causes a failure. Thermometer is also handy for checking exhaust elbow temps too.

4. Go slow, it's never a race to the ramp your just likely to be waiting in line when you get there anyway.

5. Someone will eventually need your trailer more than they think you do! Secure your trailer with something other than just a lock on the hitch! I had a trailer (triple axle aluminum) stolen 2 months ago. I now thread some hardened flourecent orange chain and a BIG $%^$$ padlock purchased from Home Depot thru the rim and around the trailer frame that screams "Take HIS...not MINE"

6. Get quotes on new trailers so you can adjust the insured value of the one you own now. I was suprised as to how much the cost of a new aluminum trailer went up in 3 yrs. Aluminum prices have driven this. Original trailer was $5K which is what it was insured for. New ones priced in between $6400 - $7800.

7. Have a spare tire and you'll never need it. Don't have one and you will!

I'm sure there are others, but that's a start.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:43 am 

IR themometer....brilliant idea! thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:11 pm 
Goldfish

"2. If you have a 5-prong trailer connector and your tow vehicle is only equipped with a 4-prong connector, it become impossible to backup without the trailer brakes engaging. "

This is only true if you are backing up a hill or incline. If you need to do this and don't have the 5 prong then use the latch on the trailer that will disengage this emergency brake feature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:18 pm 
Mental Floss

The fifth wireshould be hooked into the backup light circuit of the tow vehicle for those trailer which are equipped with DISC brakes. The fifth wire powers a solinoid which prevents the flow of hydrolic fluid to the caliber of the disc brake. Drum style brakes are free backing. You won't move a disc brake equipped trailer in reverse without the fifth wire, that is, if the brakes are working properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:15 am 
Seahorse

I might suggest a second spare. If you have a blowout ( a common occurrence not related to the brand of trailer tire), you may be in trouble. I recently had a blowout about 40 miles into a 100 mile tow. It was not a comforting thought realizing I still had 60 miles to go, plus the return trip and I no longer had a spare. I now have a 2nd spare that I put in the back of my truck "just in case".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:05 am 
Goldfish

So where does this little fifth wire goto? I just hardwire it in? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:27 pm 

reverse lights i guess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:15 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I always carry blocks of wood for jacking and blocking on an old peice of carpet to kneel on. Bare knees on the berm of a road just add to the pain of a flat tire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:29 pm 
Mental Floss

The fifth wire should be attached to the circut that operates your reverse lights. You only need the fifth wire if you have surge DISC brakes. Disc brakes have a solenoid that prevents the master cylinder from pushing brake fluid to the calipers when you backup. Drum brakes are free backing and don't need the solenoid.

If you have a standard round 7 pin RV plug on your truck, Advanced Auto parts had an adapter for about $14 that has a connection for both a 4 wire plug and a 5 wire one.

Post subject: Re: Tips for trailering
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:24 am 
Tadpole

Following are tips for trailering

Gradually reduce speed
Steady the steering wheel
sudden turns can cause more sway
Apply only the trailer brakes to help reduce trailer sway
Do Not attempt to steer out of a sway situation

Post subject: Re: Tips for trailering
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:08 am 
email admin your custom rank

All your tips are priceless but you definitely left one out for an item that you might want to have along for the ride just in case.

MOSQUITO SPRAY!!! Jeez my cousin and I had a flat on his trailer and we were eaten alive at black point marina in miami. It was horrible from the noseums and the mosquitos and the low tide it was absolute hell we finally figured out we would not be able to do the tire charge without some quick thinking so we started burning some trash and sprayed it with some oil and it alleviated the mosquito problem but only after we were mauled to an inch of our lives. If anyone lives in South Florida you know how bad Black Point Marina can get at low tide at dusk..