www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Launching Alone
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:03 am 
Shark

Any tips? I keep getting to days off where the Co-Captain is working and I am off and wanting to go out in the boat, but would need to launch all by myself.....any tips?

Post subject: Re: Launching Alone
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:28 am 
email admin your custom rank

Get your boat ready as usual (straps, plug, blower, etc).
Make sure your parking brake works well!
I find it helpful to prep the boat with dock lines and fenders before backing off the trailer - makes it easier/faster when pulling up to the courtesy dock.
Back the boat down, set the brake and put it in park (chock the wheels if need be).
Climb into boat (Probably a little easier with your boat than with mine), start engine, unclip bow line, back off and tie up to courtesy dock.
Hustle back to vehicle to get it off the ramp.

If the ramp is busy, this is kind of a hassle, but in general it's not that big a deal once you do it once or twice...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:54 am 

Good pointers by EvilZ. I find it easier to walk my boat off the trailer using bow/stern lines and tie up to courtesy dock, but it all depends on how your ramp area is configured. Mine allows this with relative ease (ramp right next to dock). Other things to consider:

-Always lets someone know your plans if boating alone. Departure/arrival times, where you will be boating, etc.
-Take a cell, or better yet have a VHF handheld.

Like EvilZ says, it gets easier the more ya do it. Enjoy!

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:38 pm 

I put my Vista in myself almost everytime, I live in Las Vegas and I think the warm water makes it easier (used to live in Ohio, would never consider getting in water to launch boat).

I get fenders and ropes ready put in plug undo tiedowns, then back her in till she floats. I then unhook the chain, and release the winch. Jump on the dock tie off the ropes and go park the truck. All done in less than 2 minutes.

Getting her back is just as easy as long as there is no wind. Windy I bought a dock pole, makes it a little easier to pull her in.

Lastly, when I have had trouble I can always get someone on the dock to grab a rope for me.

Good Luck!

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA
1996 Four Winns 238 Vista Dlx 5.8Fi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:32 am 

Even when my Admiral is around I end up launching and loading boat alone just about every time…
As everyone said put all fenders and lines attached the boat so you are ready for docking right away…
If you can find a long concrete bottom ramp which let you power load the loading is very easy task…
I use bow ladder to get on and off the boat which make assess very quick.
The key is to choose a good ramp with dock/slip so you can make all moves at very short time….

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:47 am 
Shark

Thanks everyone. Sounds like I should be able to handle it. Worse case, I will just let the 4 year old back the trailer in and park the car.....he's not quite ready to handle the boat yet.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:38 am 

A young kid adds a level of complexity to this...

At 4 years old, you need to decide if he's old enough to safely stand off to the side on the sidewalk (or close by) with his life vest on while you put the boat in. If not, and if it were me, I'd put his life vest on and have him in the car with you but not have him buckled into his seat while you back it in. Take him out of the car with you and put him in the boat while you launch, or by your side if you're just floating the boat off the trailer with dock lines. Don't leave him in the car while you launch the boat!

I've had to do this with my 3-year old and it's certainly extra work, but safety first!!

Erik

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:03 am 
Shark

I hear ya! Thankfully, and some would say otherwise, I am a tad of an over-protective Dad, so he will definitely be right by my side at all times where I know where he is!!!

he actually does a great job at helping get the dock lines ready!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:30 pm 

The ramp at the beach assn where I live does not have dock right next to it, so this is what I do...
I take a line and put the looped end through the one of the front cleats. Then I take the line and lasso it around the winch post, and then tie off the end of it to the other cleat. This will hold the boat on the trailer while I wind out the winch and allows me to take the tension off the winch line because it's holding the boat. I start it up, let it warm up, then untie the line on one of the cleats and back off. After I get it out in the water, I put the rear dock line on the rear cleat and come in to the dock. The same technique can work for retrieving the boat, have the line on one of the cleats, drive up as far as you can, lasso the winch post, tie it off to the other cleat to keep it from rolling back. I use the boat hook to grab the winch strap and hook it up. The winch strap will be wound out enough that I can reach it with the boat hook. This works fine with a bow rider, maybe not with a cuddy....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II