www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: broken trailer :(
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:28 am 
email admin your custom rank

Well, I post this here as well as the trailer forum because I have had some good tips on my trailering woes.

First of all the boating has been going well, still some issues to work out but nothing serious and the boat is running well.

During the day of frustration getting it out of the water on a bad ramp I heard a load creak and didnt think much of it, anyways after looking at the trailer I see that its buckled on both sides just forward of the wheels (pics tomorrow I hope) upon further inspection it was rusted from inside, many other spots in pretty rough shape as well so I don't think its worth repairing.

I don't plan on trailering long distances, back roads 3 miles to a ramp. What is the best way to get a replacement trailer? Craigslist ? (I don't want to spend alot of money, spent 5 on the boat and don't want to spend that much on a trailer, wondering if I find a broken 20 foot boat just for the trailer if that can be adjusted to fit my boat, who fixes these things, auto shops, boat shops? are there salvage yards? is there a field full of semi old trailers next to boat factories (I don't mind traveling to get an empty trailer)

just curious for those in the know what would be a good option for a cheap skate like me. Lesson learned to look closer at all the parts for sale not just the boat.

1998 Four Winns Horizon 200
4.3 GL
Broken trailer :(

pics for clicks

untitled-545 by millerjont, on Flickr

Newtown, CT

Post subject: Re: broken trailer :(
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:45 pm 

I assume it was a FW painted trailer (not galvanized). Do you know the history of Fresh Water vs Salt Water use? I would be pretty disappointed to have a failure like in that in 14 years if it had only been used in Fresh Water.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:42 am 

Correct on the trailer, painted four winns,

I honestly looked at it from about 50 feet as I walked back from the dock where the boat was kept, at the time it had wheels and a hitch so I assumed it was a good trailer....live and learn. (still happy with the boat)

here are bad cell phone pics

photo 2.JPG by millerjont, on Flickr

photo 1.JPG by millerjont, on Flickr

I am pretty sure the boat lived on the water, my guess is the trailer sat outside after launching and recovering, but its pretty rusty either way.

Would love to find a wrecked Boat with the same trailer, no need to upgrade or anything, but don't really feel comfortable towing this very far, while I am the one that broke it by using the wrong ramp something was bound to fail after taking a closer look at it.

Newtown, CT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:50 am 

Looks like my FW trailer. Sold it for $150 on craigslist and picked up a Karavan galvanized for around $800 new (single axle for H180)

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:53 pm 

Do yourself a favor..... and ......DO NOT
under any circumstances buy another painted trailer....esp if you are buying used, get a good galvanized trailer with a 5200 lb axle if you want another single axle. I have a galvanized Load Rite, the frame is 19 years old and used in salt and its STILL not rusted....
A painted boat trailer, is like a boat with carpeted plywood decks, cheap low priced construction bound to cause trouble. Spend a little extra and get something made to go in the water...painted trailers are OK for car haulers or cargo trailers NOT for boats.....
The way that rusted, I'll bet that the water sat in that part of the frame and didn't drain and the outside does not look all that rusty, so it might have not even been used in salt water.

If the axle is OK, you could save it since most single axle trailes come with a 3500 lb capacity axle. It also depends on the spring center width and the width of the trailer frame.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:14 am 

My current trailer is rotted broken and dead, although it will suffice to get it out of the water this year I don't take it more than 2 miles at a time.

This trailer is the closest I have come to anything decent on C-list in my area and is priced right, but its for a smaller 4 winns (mine is a 20 ft Horizon H200)

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/boa/3271378472.html

I'm not worried about the lack of brakes so much as overal capacity, this is the closest I have come to something that will work, I like the idea of it being a four winns galvanized, just wondering if its really really undersized or would work fine.

Not planning any long distance travel or anything, 20 miles max at this point to a nearby bigger lake occasionaly (like twice a year)

Newtown, CT