www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jack stands for trailer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:11 am 
Guppy

Will be storing my 18' Four Winns this winter in an enclosed un-heated storage building. I would like to place jack stands under trailer to take pressure off the trailer tires. What is the proper placement? This trailer does have a tongue trailer jack with roller. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:11 am 
email admin your custom rank

Single axle? Place them under the axle tubes close to leaf springs or leaf springs themselves if your jack stand cradle is big enough.

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:00 pm 

I stored in an heated barn last winter with no jack stands. Zero issues with the trailer tires. I have just inflated them to max pressure and they were fine at the end of the winter.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:38 pm 

I store the boat and trailer in my driveway and I have never jacked it up. Tires lasted just fine anyway, I replaced them after 8 years as a precaution. I would advise putting a jack stand under the tongue for sure though, I read of someone on the hulltruth.com who had a trailer jack fail and it came down on his FOOT! poor guy had to have his toe amputated. Note to self, do not trust any trailer jack and do not allow any body part to get between the tongue/actuator and the ground, when it is supported only by the jack....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:13 pm 

NiagaraChillin wrote:
Single axle? Place them under the axle tubes close to leaf springs or leaf springs themselves if your jack stand cradle is big enough.

I was always told that you want to take the load off the springs and tires. Also, I always place the stands under the frame and taken at least 60 to 75% of the load off the tires. Now is this good, well it won't hurt and it only takes me about 20 min to do. I have a double axle and a total of about 8,200lbs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:47 am 

Although taking weight off the tires will most likely prolong their life, I would bet that most boat trailer tires will fail due to dry rot long before the affects of winter storage or tread wear takes them out of service.

Just had to replace my trailer tires, was very surprised to find out they were the originals from 1997. Vey badly dry rotted, still plenty of tread. I know it was never jacked up during the winter, the original owner who had it for 12 years did not pay or do anything to the trailer

Previous:97 245 Sundowner 5.7GI/SX

Tow vehicle: 1986 GMC 2500 Camper Special 454/TH400

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:58 am 
Dolphin

Flyfisher wrote:
Will be storing my 18' Four Winns this winter in an enclosed un-heated storage building. I would like to place jack stands under trailer to take pressure off the trailer tires. What is the proper placement? This trailer does have a tongue trailer jack with roller. Thanks

FlyFisher - what year is your 180? I have new set of canvas for your boat I am trying to sell cheap. Would be great if you don't already have a set, or if you want an extra set. Its a black set for both bow and cockpit and I am trying to clear a couple of hundred bucks for it after shipping.

I already posted in "buy/sell" but saw you boat size while reading through this thread.

As for the jack stands, I did it one year, but agree with other posts that your tires will dry-rot within a few years anyway...you won't prolong tire life by jacking up. I placed jack stands both fore and aft of the axle(s) directly on the frame. Just placed a wooded block between jack stand and frame. I left the wheeled trailer jack in the down position for stablility and placed one of those "doughnuts" under the wheel to keep it from moving. Ended up being a little bit of work for nearly no benefit. Had to repalce the tires a couple of years later anyway...

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:38 pm 
230 Mike

+1, I did it one year and would like to have that wasted time back. It is important though (IMO) to take the load off your tongue jack.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:59 pm 

My tires only see the sun when I'm boating...I also keep them slicked down with armor all. Four years and counting but starting to notice some tread wear on second from outside ridge....strange...not like its
over or under inflated.

Never placed on stands but not against it either.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:40 pm 
Shark

So for the toungue, you just get a good ol standard jack stand, and then lower the toungue/actuator onto the stand? No fear of it falling off the jack stand? My boat sits in the driveway with a slight downhill slant, and it is just sittting on the standard ol plastic wheel......sorry if I sound like an idiot, mecanical I am not...I usually pay people to handle the mechanical so I won't screw it up!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:06 pm 

Pedropup wrote:
So for the toungue, you just get a good ol standard jack stand, and then lower the toungue/actuator onto the stand? No fear of it falling off the jack stand? My boat sits in the driveway with a slight downhill slant, and it is just sittting on the standard ol plastic wheel......

I would place the jackstand under the tongue, about where the tongue meets the trailer (where the bow roller is). Once you lower the trailer onto the jackstand, crank the wheel up about an inch off the ground, that way if it ever falls, the the trailer stand will keep it from hittin the ground.

Also, with a driveway on a downward slant, any water in your bilge will end up in the bow, make sure its all out or your next post will be " Help, moldy smell in ski locker" :lol:

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:57 pm 

I put the jackstand right behind where the actuator bolts on and also put a piece of plywood under the jackstand so it doesn't dig into the blacktop when it gets warm out. I just lower the tongue jack so the jackstand takes the weight. Been doing that for years never had a problem, I would not depend on some of the cheap flimsy tongue jacks. The better ones use a better made method of securing the swivel part, and a larger wheel makes it easier to maneuver the trailer around the driveway yourself (single axle that is....)

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:51 pm 
Shark

Perfect.....off to Pep Boys for a Jack Stand!!!!!!