www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:41 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I have a two speed Fulton 3205 winch on my trailer that uses a steel cable. From the day the boat came from the factory the cable was all screwed up. It is very hard to unwind and the cable has flat spots and will get caught or jammed in the reel. I'm considering converting this to a strap and in fact purchased a 20' 5000lb strap that I planned to install on it. When I took the steel cable off there didn't seem to be a way to convert this to a strap as the cable is secured on the side while a previous trailer had a bolt that secured the strap. The dealer suggested cutting the end of the strap and feeding a third of the end through that hole and using that to secure. I'm considering that but wonder if anyone else has converted a trailer with steel cable to a strap.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:14 pm 

On my previous boat (03 268 Vista) I had the same issue. I cut the, cable from the 20' to something like 6 or 8'. The cable would fit on 2 layers across the drum. I was very meticulous to have it wrap up on the drum strait and tight. When it does, the cable doesn't crush itself, and lasts a long time. If you think about it , when's the last time you whiched the boat more than 4-5 feet?

My trailer for my current boat has a strap, but you would need to replace the winch to do it right.

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:17 pm 

Flyer51 wrote:
I have a two speed Fulton 3205 winch on my trailer that uses a steel cable. From the day the boat came from the factory the cable was all screwed up. It is very hard to unwind and the cable has flat spots and will get caught or jammed in the reel. I'm considering converting this to a strap and in fact purchased a 20' 5000lb strap that I planned to install on it. When I took the steel cable off there didn't seem to be a way to convert this to a strap as the cable is secured on the side while a previous trailer had a bolt that secured the strap. The dealer suggested cutting the end of the strap and feeding a third of the end through that hole and using that to secure. I'm considering that but wonder if anyone else has converted a trailer with steel cable to a strap.

Not to be pain, but. The strap is rated 5000lbs. Your boat must be in the 8000lb range, yes? I have a V258 and dry its 6,400lbs. Now add fuel, water and gear and your in the 8500lbs range. Now the boat is being pulled up hill onto the trailer. Do you think that the strip will hold that much wight?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:26 pm 

I had no issues with my 268 and strap winch. I'd just go ahead and replace the winch. Which I did on my trailer right before we sold it :( .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:33 pm 

firecadet613 wrote:
I had no issues with my 268 and strap winch. I'd just go ahead and replace the winch. Which I did on my trailer right before we sold it :( .

Firecadet that's the reason I was considering converting mine. I liked the way yours worked when we loaded her. I didn't know if I would need to replace the winch. I've seen strap on far larger boats and trailers than mine. I realize the strap is 5000 lb but I really doubt you're pulling 8000 lbs with the winch. Normally all I'm doing is the last foot anyway if that.