www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:52 pm 
Minnow

I don't know if this is a ridiculous question or not so I guess I have to ask it. Can I trailer my 268 with the camper canvas around the hardware and with the zippered cover over it? I tried to put a picture up but wasn't successful. I hope I'm clear enough. I don't mean with the canvas actually set up with the zippered windows in and such but just with the hardware folded together, the top of the canvas wrapped around it and the zippered "four winns" cover around it. I have a mooring/trailering cover and it has slots to allow for the canvas hardware to stay attached and set up but I'm not sure if that's just for if it's moored.
Oh, by the way, I'm new to this (can you tell) and I'm trying to figure out as much as I can while the snow is on the ground.
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:42 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I was told it was fine to leave it up(bimini folded with the cover on it) for short trips. But if your planning to tow it a couple hundred miles it would be better to take it down. Bumps in the road put a lot of wear and tear on the mounting hardware.

It's not hard with two people to take it off. Plus you don't have to clean the bugs off of it after the trip.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:47 pm 

rlb wrote:
I don't know if this is a ridiculous question or not so I guess I have to ask it. Can I trailer my 268 with the camper canvas around the hardware and with the zippered cover over it? I tried to put a picture up but wasn't successful. I hope I'm clear enough. I don't mean with the canvas actually set up with the zippered windows in and such but just with the hardware folded together, the top of the canvas wrapped around it and the zippered "four winns" cover around it. I have a mooring/trailering cover and it has slots to allow for the canvas hardware to stay attached and set up but I'm not sure if that's just for if it's moored.
Oh, by the way, I'm new to this (can you tell) and I'm trying to figure out as much as I can while the snow is on the ground.
Thanks

That's actually a good question. I take all of my canvas off and stow it below to play it safe. If it "gets away" from you, it gets expensive. As for towing with the mooring cover on; I always do. BUT, my cover snaps in at the bottom of the windshield. If mine snapped in at the top of the windshield, I wouldn't think of doing it.

John :mrgreen:

And a lot of others.

Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:23 pm 
Minnow

Ok, thanks. I was just concerned with having it up at high speeds and if it could handle the wind. I hadn't thought about the hardware to fiberglass getting hammered on the road. As suggested, it seems to come off easily enough that I might as well take it down.
Thanks very much for the comments.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:42 pm 

I trailer mine with both tops rolled up in the boot but my trip is short and it never get over 45mph.I do this trip twice a week round trip.

My first drive home from the previous owner i trailered it home on the highway for 45 min. at 60-65 mph with no problems

2006 5.0GXI w/closed cooling, DP-sm 1.95 drive
Previous boat:
1998 Sundowner 205

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:28 am 

I trailer mine 300 miles at 50-65 mph on the highway with the bimini up but in the cover, but I also have the support poles mounted on the gunnels for support. I found that if you "lay it down" it was harder on mine because of the stress bouncing down the highway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:16 pm 

rib,

About how many times a year are you thinking of trailering and assuming you are in the Listowel area where would you be trailering to?

Road conditions and the resulting movement of your canvas frame and hardware would be a concern for me depending on distance and frequency of trailering.

I wouldn't worry about trailering with the mooring cover on even at 120 KPH on our 400 series highways.

Mike.

- 2010 310 Mercury Inflatable

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:43 pm 
Minnow

I'll only be trailering probably 4-5 times a year at most but heading to Georgian Bay and the Trent-Severn so they'll be longer trips (2.5 - 3 hrs). I've trailered with the mooring cover with no problems but never with the canvas up in the "boot".
Thanks