www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Replacing my Bunks
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:07 am 
email admin your custom rank

Nice project. Only other thing I might do if I had a bunk trailer is coat the wood with CPES (thinned epoxy wood preservative) if I had the time. All galvanized fittings and monel or stainless staples.
Here most people use roller trailers which have different issues. But if you keep the pivots greased up and keep an eye on the rollers, you just replace the ones that are starting to get cracked. Pretty easy actually and everything is galvanized. I replaced all the rear sets about 10 years ago and still have a few of the original ones on the front roller bars because they take less weight.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Post subject: Re: Replacing my Bunks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:06 pm 
Shark

LVChris wrote:
Toddely wrote:
Not to sound dumb, what does soaping up the new bunks do. stationary wash board? lol I'm learning fellas. I'm learning.

I read somewhere to soap them with the new carpet, not sure why or if it made a difference. My guess is it didn't. However I will say that I keep a bar of soap on board for the zippers on my canvas and soaping them up every so often works wonders!

I helped a friend do this same project, only we didn't soap the carpet. Big mistake. The next weekend we came down to use the boat and it was stuck to the trailer. It was stuck so bad the trailer was trying to float during launch. After several minutes of reverse and forward on the throttle along with turning the steering back and forth it came unstuck and trailer dropped to the ramp. I was amazed, I've never seen that happen. The new carpet fibers had simply "bonded" themselves to the fiberglass. It was a hot week so that could have played a role. I can only assume a good soaping would have prevented this. The trailer and boat were not damaged, however, it was embarrassing.

1984 Century 5000, Merc 260 Alpha 1
2012 Yamaha VXR

Kansas City, MO