www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:17 pm 
Shark

A set of sturdy guide poles makes it at least three times easier to put the boat on the trailer. I added a set of bolt on poles that had a rotating cylindrical section you set to the same height as the rub rail. I set the width of the poles about two inches wider than the boat. This perfectly centered the boat on the trailer even very windy conditions. I would buy these again for any trailer I own. In fact I have fixed and re engineered the original supports on my FourWinns trailer for the very last time. The next thing on the side bunks that breaks means I will be shopping for a bolt on set.

YES buy them. My wife asked my why I did not do this the first year we owned the boat because it was so much easier!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:50 pm 
email admin your custom rank

That's how mine are set up......just about 2 inches from the rub rail......

..It was hard to get my boat centered on that FW trailer.....first time every time now.....I'm really liking the guides that I ordered with this new trailer......So much better than those bent up rusty ones on my old FW trailer.......what a piece of carp that trailer was!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:47 pm 

here is my setup:

2006 5.0GXI w/closed cooling, DP-sm 1.95 drive
Previous boat:
1998 Sundowner 205

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:48 pm 

2006 5.0GXI w/closed cooling, DP-sm 1.95 drive
Previous boat:
1998 Sundowner 205

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:51 pm 
Shark

Interesting....in the video posted earlier, he had the guides tight against the rub rail, yet I see all of you with them about 2"s away from the rub rail.

Done just for fear of marking up the boat, or is it because the boat in the video was so large?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:03 am 
Dolphin

Pedropup wrote:
Interesting....in the video posted earlier, he had the guides tight against the rub rail, yet I see all of you with them about 2"s away from the rub rail.

Done just for fear of marking up the boat, or is it because the boat in the video was so large?

Mine are supposed to be delivered today so we'll see but I'd think you'd want them pretty close to the rub rail. I have such a hard time getting it centered I'm hoping this is going to help get it right the first time. Hell I'd be happy if it only takes two or three tries.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:32 am 
Shark

Yep. I think I am going to put them on fairly tight against the boat. We don't have much issue with centering the boat and all that, but I am going to try to dosome solo launching and feel that is going to help a lot after ewatching that video.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:46 pm 

Mine are tight against the boat but the 2" PVC actually roll, so don't just scrape along the hull. It makes it perfectly centered every time. Not having it tight against the hull to me seems like the boat could be 2" off center no?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:41 am 
Dolphin

john55c wrote:
Mine are tight against the boat but the 2" PVC actually roll, so don't just scrape along the hull. It makes it perfectly centered every time. Not having it tight against the hull to me seems like the boat could be 2" off center no?

Exactly what I was thinking. 2" either way is usually the difference for me. I always end up with one of the chines sitting on top of the bunk, by about 2" or so.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:42 pm 

I want to add a set of guides to my Four Winns trailer.

Has anyone added a set to theirs?

I am wondering how I will attach them seeing as there is that large step behind the fender and I cant recall a spot where I will be able to bolt up to the frame.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:13 pm 

On second thought, i suppose i would just drill holes in the step for the u bolt that would go on the outside of the frame.

Regardless, I would still like to hear from anyone who has done this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:49 am 
Dolphin

For my previous boat, I used trailer guides to keep the boat from settling crooked on the trailer. I had to mount them pretty tight to the rub rails in order to center the boat.

On one occasion with high winds, the boat put so much stress on the guides, that the steel support bent outward about 45 degrees...once that happens, the support is weakened and won't hardly hold up to a breeze anymore, so you almost have to replace the steel 90 degree support.

On my Four Winns trailer, the short little guides do a pretty decent job of getting the boat somewhat centered on the trailer and when I pull trailer out of the water, the boat settles itself dead-center every time.

In high winds, at the level I submerge the trailer, the boat almost skips right over the top of the guide. It requires my wife to back up with the boat and re-attempt, which is a little embarrassing. So far though, I haven't bent these guides yet (fingers crossed) and I haven't seen the need to install any of the 90-degree PVC guides.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:06 am 
Shark

I ended up having mine welded on the trailer due to the size and weight of our boat. One in front of the trailer fender and the other behind the fender on the trailer. If you weld you will need to notch out the bracket to fit over the trailer beam and have more stability. For me it's the best upgrade I could of done it makes loading and unloading so much easier and quicker especially when it's windy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:46 am 

Thanks guys.

I ended up ordering a set of CE Smith 72" Post Guides that mount to the frame with U bolts. I ordered them long because the vertical supports on shorter ones were mostly PVC, only having 36" of steel. With the 72" I get 60" of steel, and if they are too tall I can trim them back.

If all goes well the will be in today, and the will be imeedatily placed into storage with my ever growing pile of spring boat projects.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:24 am 
Tadpole

Hello Friends,
I am new to this forum, happy to join here.
What I read I really like that, Thanks for your information.