www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailering Covers
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:21 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I know it's been "discussed" but I wanted to start a thread to just show the various covers we've discussed in pics. My orig two piece cover is about done and I'm going to invest in a new one piece this season. So far I'm 80% sure it'll be the overpriced FW brand but I just haven't seen anything that even comes close to fitting as good as the FW brand.

So feel free to post a pic and let us know what you think.

Post subject: Re: Trailering Covers
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:28 am 
All Night Long

The FW trailering cover is very affordable compared to the going rate for a custom trailering cover in my area (Seattle).

Won't find anything better...

I'm curious as to why you consider the cover overpriced? Have you seen something better for less for anywhere else?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:28 am 

Over priced was probably a poor choice of words. They are pricier than what u can get from overtons. They are the best fit and look I've seen so far. But that's why I started the thread to see if anyone that got a different brand is really happy with their choice.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:30 am 
All Night Long

AFAIK, custom is the only other route.
The Overton's covers are cheapies compared to the FW factory trailering cover.

Check with the guys at Winnisquam for a discount on the list price....One would think any dealer would get you 10-15% off. Winnisquam doesn't have sales tax either (but you do pay for shipping).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:40 am 

I bought both the canvas and the FW "Trailering Cover" for my 210. I like/dislike both for different reasons. The canvas is nice as its quick n easy to install/remove and a breeze to fold up and stow however as would be expected with canvas it is not exactly what I would call waterproof if its going to be raining for a number of days and keeping it clean is a bit tougher than the synthetic fabrics. The 303 treatment can add up as well but does keep it nice. I have trailered with the canvas on for short distances and it seems to be fine. The canvas pole arrangement is much less of a pain than the trailering cover and strap set-up.
The trailering cover (not the mooring cover) is a sweet cover - tailor fit with or without a tower. Black and stenciled. It's a thing of beauty but more of a hassel to get on/off and stow. You have to be cautious of the ratchet assembly being dragged around and chipping or scraching finishes and its a pain to fold and stow. Another gripe is the way it chafes when trailering on the highway for any length of time - on the windshield header and walkthrough hinges; the Cirus antenna etc. With high wind it also tends to blow in the bow seats and ride up over the waistline or bump edge of the boat and flap and chafe the gel around mid-ships. Doesn't seem to matter how tight I winch it. I worry that the swim platform ladder hinges will poke through it if I winch it too much tighter. I don't recall seeing any reinforcement in these areas. But if you can strap it to the trailer in the ride up areas in such a way that the straps do not chafe the hull sides it would probably be great. I doubt there is a cover thats any better despite those irks - and mine has the velcro slits for the tower (and full size windshield) so a boat without may stay in place better than mine.
I would be surprised if you could find better covers than factory for any significant anmount of saving but I'v been wrong before.

Canvas:

Trailer Cover:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:03 pm 

Blessed - Very good write up. I too have the same covers as Blessed and use them in much the same manor. I have been very pleased with the FW trailering cover. I have not had the chafing, etc issues mentioned by blessed. I have the low profile windshield and no tower on my boat so maybe the cover fits differently.

Blessed - Have I ever mentioned I love your boat????????? Was that outloud? :mrgreen:

Edit: added photo's

Last edited by impulse on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:53 pm 

Before

After

My new cover does not flap much if I tight up well… I use 2” good quality masking take where cover might rub the hull. I also cut small padding material for under the retched mechanism area and taped it as well... Unlike duct tape masking tape (higher quality ones) will come out clean and easy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:07 pm 

Does the FW brand use the same poles to push it up? I'm considering getting some foam pipe coverings to put around the tubes to keep it from wearing so fast. My poles have already starting wearing thru in the tight spots. Also considering doing the same thing around the windshield in various spots.

Thinking being the more spread out the contact point is the slower it'll wear thru.

Great pics of the before and after. Being able to cover with the bimini up is a HUGE plus for the FW cover in my book. I'm already noticing various marks from wear my poles rest with it all the way down.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:33 am 

Different pole arrangement from trailer cover to canvas covers if thats what you mean. The canvas use the "T" pole with the horizontal pole held in place fore and aft by loops sewn into the canvas. Then there is a snap in the center - directly over the vertical pole to keep it situated. There are two poles one in the bow and another in the cockpit for the 210.
The trailer cover relies on two poles as well (one in the bow and another in the cockpit) - they are adjustable in hieght. On top of each pole is a plastic dish like a small tea cup-saucer. There are 3 straps attatched to each of the saucers on each of the pole tops.
1 strap fixes the two pole tops together from cockpit to bow seat - over the windshield.
The 2 straps remaining on the bow pole loop over each bow cleat before the cover is pulled on (the cover has reinforced slits that the cleats fit through).
The 2 straps remaining on the cockpit pole each loop over a port/starboard aft cleat before the cover is pulled on (the cover has reinforced slits that the cleats fit through).
The cover is then hooked over the bow and pulled back with the velcro slits (if applicable) in the sides fitting around the tower legs and finally pulled down over the swim platform and all the way around over the waistline or rub strip.
There is a horizontal strap sewn in the base of the cover - to tighten around the the perimeter of the boat below the waistline with a ratchet tightener at the back (over the outdrive) in a little zip-pouch that should prevent damage from banging (if you make it a point to always keep it zipped up).
I notice that the aft pole straps dig into the sun-pad and I worry about tearing or marking so they get a scrap of cardboard on each side / point of contact.
I have heard of people using lengths of copper pipe insulation - that grey foam for the windshield header and will probably start doing the same. It costs almost nothing at hardware stores. Hadn't occured to me to try to use it on the canvas poles like mentioned above - but I hadn't noticed any wear there yet. Better take a look - the canvas is pricey.

One thing not mentioned is the bimini. Mine is integrated into the tower (I don't have the forward arch) and when the boat was brand new and towed home (16hrs on the highway) for some reason the bimini bows had jiggled together and subsequently wore a few small holes through the canvas. I would reccomend anyone with a top of any sort check thier biminis are not doing the same; that they are carefully folded and strapped nice and snug before putting on the boot to prevent this from happening. A lot of us do not use these small tops all the time so it would be a drag to open it up and finding it with a bunch of holes wore in it. Hardware stores carry these cool velcro straps for a couple of bucks which is what I now use before I zip the boot over the top. Seems to have worked out well so far. :wink:

Geez Suishi you went with a new cover and the fancy forward arch. Whew - pricey. But man, what a difference. Beautiful.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:35 pm 
Minnow

Blessed, Question about your Four Winns factory trailer cover....do you leave the poles and straps installed when trailering? The instructions that came with mine call the poles and straps an "anti-pooling" system. It specifically says "Remove anti-pooling system for long trips and highway speeds, then reinstall anti-pooling system upon reaching destination."

2009 Chrysler Aspen 5.7 Hemi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:56 pm 

Take them out? No, I leave them in. If they were not in I think the cover would be completely vacuum packed in the bow. I think for me at least, the cover really only gives me problems on longer hauls and/or at higher speeds. Should note as well that it can often be quite windy here as well which often contributes to the problem.
It is a great cover no doubt - just for me it is more of a beauty of a mooring or short haul cover.
I am curious on the placement of the vents also - doesn't seem as though they would allow much air circulation when they are pressed against the side glass.

Hmmm - I just looked closer at Suishis pics and it looks as though his cover for the larger boats include vents over the cockpit as well as the sides. Mine only have the side vents.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:16 pm 
Guppy

A nice topic about covers. :)
Mostly because I tried to get a better cover for my boat last year, but you can guess it stayed with trying. :(
The real reason for getting a better cover is that the canvas isn't keeping the rain outside. :? As already mentioned.

Our boat stays in the water during the season (four months) but as we live in Holland (or The Netherlands if you prefer) 2/3 of the time we have rain. Once last year I guess the auto switch of the bilge pump gave me an empty battery but the bilge was dry.

Enough talk let me show some pics :D

This is a 2007 horizon 220 and as you can see, the front end of the bimini is mounted on the inside of the side glass.
This cover should be for the 2007 model I also thought it was on the label.
I asked my dealer to check with the Dutch Main dealer (importer?) and they told this was the only model and that it should fit or we could adjust it.
Not my idea on a new cover which should be perfectly fitting.

The main question will be at this moment could anybody think of a way to get me a trailer cover which fits my boat :?:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:33 pm 

Netherlands Huh? Cool, my Mom Was from Utrecht and my Dad from Hilversum. As for your cover - that looks suspiciously like one for a Wake Arch or maybe Tower Boat to me- by the placement of the velcro slits. I thought for sure they are supposed to be ordered for "With or Without Tower or Arch"
My cover can be a pain for trailering but it definitely fits tailor made around everything like the tower bases.
However, when I put my boat away this year I am going to stick to my gripe on the vents -they don't vent against the window. I was late getting the boat in the garage this year and when I took the cover off the inside was covered with frozen beads of water - condensation I have to guess :roll:
Why the vents are not over the open space of the cabin escapes me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:21 pm 
Starfish

Hello out there,
I just joined the website this week and have had a 1990 Fourwinns Freedom 180 boat for ten years till I upgraded it last year for a 2007 H210 SS in red. I had a custom made cover for my old boat, but wasn't happy with it.
I just ordered my trailering cover 3 weeks ago and am happy to hear that it's probably the best way to go.
Do to Genmar going into receivership I was just able to order it 3 weeks ago, but have been in contact with the marina for the past 3 months.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:46 am 

I'm wondering about the trailer cover. I trailer occasionally. My boat stays in the water. I'd like to use a full cover while it's in the water, but don't want a mooring cover plus a trailer cover. Can you put the trailering cover on the boat while it's in the water? (without getting wet)

IF any of you have the mooring cover, does it have places for the cleats to poke through the cover? Could you trailer with the mooring cover, and not have a trailering cover?

Great thread!