www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailer brakes
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:43 pm 
Dolphin

Hey guys I'm planing on bleeding my brake system tomorrow, at the same time I would like check my drums, are the drums the same as a car/truck. Is there any seals or anything different about removing the drum

1997/1998 fw single axel trailer

Post subject: Re: Trailer brakes
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:52 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Trailer drum brakes are not the same as rear drum brakes on modern vehicles. They are like drum brakes on the front of vehicles of 40-50 years ago. Meaning that they are not self adjusting, so you may have to loosen the adjustment to get the drum to come off and you have to remove the cotter pin or locking plate to loosen the spindle nut. They do not just slide off the wheel studs like on a truck rear axle, the brake drum and hub are all one piece.
First you loosen the adjustment by turning a star wheel you can get to from a slot in the backing plate. Then you remove the dust cover and you will see the spindle nut and cotter pin. After removing the pin or other locking device you should be able to loosen the spindle nut. Remove the spindle nut. The nut will have a washer under it don't lose that. Also, when you start to pull the drum off the outer bearing can fall out of the race so be ready for that. When you put it all back together, I recommend installing new wheel cylinders because that is what usually fails with drum brakes. The rest of the hardware and shoes may be fine. However if the brakes are in bad shape, its easier, cheaper and faster to just install a new complete galvanized backing plate with the newer style aluminum wheel cylinders. Also always use a new cotter pin or locking plate. I would also take a good look at the bearings and races, if they are pitted at all, or rusted, then you have to replace both the bearings and races. And install a new grease seal.
Take a look at Champion Trailers look in the tech section.
Also etrailer has a series of videos on trailer repair that are very good.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:05 pm 
Dolphin

LouC wrote:
Trailer drum brakes are not the same as rear drum brakes on modern vehicles. They are like drum brakes on the front of vehicles of 40-50 years ago. Meaning that they are not self adjusting, so you may have to loosen the adjustment to get the drum to come off and you have to remove the cotter pin or locking plate to loosen the spindle nut. They do not just slide off the wheel studs like on a truck rear axle, the brake drum and hub are all one piece.
First you loosen the adjustment by turning a star wheel you can get to from a slot in the backing plate. Then you remove the dust cover and you will see the spindle nut and cotter pin. After removing the pin or other locking device you should be able to loosen the spindle nut. Remove the spindle nut. The nut will have a washer under it don't lose that. Also, when you start to pull the drum off the outer bearing can fall out of the race so be ready for that. When you put it all back together, I recommend installing new wheel cylinders because that is what usually fails with drum brakes. The rest of the hardware and shoes may be fine. However if the brakes are in bad shape, its easier, cheaper and faster to just install a new complete galvanized backing plate with the newer style aluminum wheel cylinders. Also always use a new cotter pin or locking plate. I would also take a good look at the bearings and races, if they are pitted at all, or rusted, then you have to replace both the bearings and races. And install a new grease seal.
Take a look at Champion Trailers look in the tech section.
Also etrailer has a series of videos on trailer repair that are very good.

Very helpful. Thanks a million!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:55 pm 
Tadpole

Hi LouC,I have a loud clicking noise coming from the base of the drum when you turn it by hand. Could this be a bra wire or similar that is stuck between the inner and outer drum? If it is one of the sealed drums (how can you tell?) is there any way to get to it?Keep in touch with us...I am waiting for your hopeful reply..Thanks in Advance :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:47 am 
email admin your custom rank

Are these American style surge hydraulic drum brakes or European/Austrailian style with the cable actuator?
Post a pic of what you've got. I am familiar with American style surge drum brakes but I've never worked on the cable operated variety used in Europe or Australia. Seeing as how they are cable actuated though a loose cable inside certainly could make noise.

Like this:
http://www.cobratrailer.com/wp-content/ ... ration.pdf

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II