www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:42 pm 
Shark

Hi Guys,
I have a Freedom 170 and the urethane covering is coming off some of the rollers on the trailer..
I have replacement rollers bought and wanted to install them at home versus 1 hour away in the lake parking lot.

I was going to use the trailer jack and do the back and then the front.

I'll loosen back straps and keep the safety change and wench strap loosely connected for safety. I'll also have trailer on level surface to help as well.

I was going to lower the tongue of the trailer to bring the stern up as high as possible.
Then I have a spare urethane bow roller that fits nicely into the pocket of my jack stand.
The roller is sufficient to keep the stern from contacting the jack stand.

Once I lower the tongue of the trailer, I was going to place jack stand under stern with the roller centered on the keel. Then as I raise the tongue, the stern should lift off the rollers enough to change them out. I am thinking only 1/2" above the rollers.

Then I was going to repeat the opposite on the bow to change a few front rollers.

Does this sound ok to do? Is the keel strong enough to support itself on about a 5" wide bow roller?

Thanks for the input.

I just hate to start into a job without all my tools available that I have here in the garage. Seems like I often run into something unexpected and need to cut of hog rings or something with an angle grinder.

Looking to do this tomorrow is everything seems like it will be ok.

Best regards,
Doug

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:24 pm 
Shark

The keel should be strong enough to do this. I did the same thing on my 24' Century. Sitting on flat ground you can safely loosen the stern straps and the winch strap.

I had to replace a bunk on another trailer once. I just paid $10 to put the boat in a slip for the day. That worked out nicely.

1984 Century 5000, Merc 260 Alpha 1
2012 Yamaha VXR

Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:53 pm 
Shark

purdueosch wrote:
The keel should be strong enough to do this. I did the same thing on my 24' Century. Sitting on flat ground you can safely loosen the stern straps and the winch strap.

I had to replace a bunk on another trailer once. I just paid $10 to put the boat in a slip for the day. That worked out nicely.

Thanks for your response.

That said, I should be able to do it tomorrow.
I wish I had access to a slip, but Ohio is not the best place for boating.
Trying to get all maintenance items taken care of before heading South next month for the winter.
I have a lift rented there with a Captains walk on both sides. I won't know how to act :-)

Doug

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:54 pm 
email admin your custom rank

The keel is the strongest part of your boat and will take the load. When a boat is stored on blocks the load should be on the keel.

A piece of wood will also act as good protection.

Not sure how your trailer is set up, just make sure the boat is supported from tilting to the side, but I am sure you have thought of that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:55 pm 
Shark

alex8q4 wrote:
The keel is the strongest part of your boat and will take the load. When a boat is stored on blocks the load should be on the keel.

A piece of wood will also act as good protection.

Not sure how your trailer is set up, just make sure the boat is supported from tilting to the side, but I am sure you have thought of that.

Sure will,
Thanks much.
Doug

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:15 pm 
Shark

Got my rollers changed today.
A floor jack and a 4x4 piece of wood worked well.
I did each side in the rear and then moved to the front.
Again, just the floor jack and 4x4 on front keel area to get up off the rollers enough to change.

Hog rings can be a little bit of a challenge, but once you get a method it goes pretty quick.

I took a small claw hammer and stuck the edge of one claw under the leg of the hog ring.
Used the leverage to spread the ring and then a pair of pliers to finish getting them off.

The new rings I squeezed together slightly before putting them on, then closed them finally with some channel locks.

Boats all ready to go to Florida next month.

FYI,
Doug