www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:25 am 
Shark

Hi Everybody,
I recently purchased a 2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer to better trailer our 180. I noticed today that the truck only had a 4 prong receiver. What will i have to do to plug the 5 prongs from the trailer? thank you for your help

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:35 am 
Sierra

Definitely not my field of expertise, but when I was faced with what I believe was the same or similar situation when I had to tow my Jet Ski, NAPA had a simple adaptor that did the trick.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:41 pm 
email admin your custom rank

The extra conductor on the 5 flat plug is for the reverse light circiut. The trailer has a "brake solonoid valve that stops brake fluid from applying the trailer brakes when you are backing up. The newer trailers with disc brakes will not budge in reverse without it.

On the 06 expeidition isnt there a round 7 pin trailer connector too? If so, you can get an adapter to go form 7 round to 5 flat.

In a pinch you can plug the 5 flat into the 4 flat plug on the truck, there will be one pin of the plug "hanging out" of the connector, that one is the reverse lights. Then if you have to back the trailer, most trailers have a quick coupler, that disconnects the brake line so the tounge can be removed. You can disconnect the brake line to stop the brake fluid from applying the brakes. Just dont forget to hook it back up, I forgot once with our 268, only took the first stop down the road about 3 miles before I realized the error of my ways.... almost ran into the car in front of me....scary to say the least.

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:31 pm 

jsimon wrote:
Just dont forget to hook it back up, I forgot once with our 268, only took the first stop down the road about 3 miles before I realized the error of my ways.... almost ran into the car in front of me....scary to say the least.

................I'll bet !!!!

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:27 pm 

The Expedition doesn't have the round plug connector? Our 05 did, and then you get the 7 pin round to 5 flat adapter and everything works great.

2002 Ford F150 Harley Davidson Edition (http://www.nhtoc.com) 378 hp & 465 tq at rear wheels
2008 Honda Accord EX-L w/Nav

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:42 pm 

So this is why my trailer brakes keeped locking when I was backing up. I was running my old 7 to 4 way adaptor I used for my old boat. I finally found a 7 to 5 way and didn't even think about what the fifth was for. I just figured if it was there I should use it. Does make it much easier to unload the boat.

1991 FW 170 Freedom 4.3L (SOLD)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:11 pm 
Shark

No the expedition doesnt have the other plug in you guys mentioned. An 2004 that i test drove did but the 06 that i bought doesnt. My 2008 h180 trailor doesnt have disc brakes but only surge brakes. When i back up hills i must get out and disengage the braking system per the dealers instruction. so just to clarify, i will only loose the ability to have reverse lights if the last prong isnt pluged in and it wont affect braking? thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:19 am 

gomes wrote:
No the expedition doesnt have the other plug in you guys mentioned. An 2004 that i test drove did but the 06 that i bought doesnt. My 2008 h180 trailor doesnt have disc brakes but only surge brakes. When i back up hills i must get out and disengage the braking system per the dealers instruction. so just to clarify, i will only loose the ability to have reverse lights if the last prong isnt pluged in and it wont affect braking? thanks

Most if not all newer trailers have "surge disc brakes" due to the superior stopping capability of disc brakes. With this advantage comes the issue of backing up. You either need to have the 5 flat plug and the brake blocking valve hooked up and working or you need to unhook the brake line.

gomes, if you only have the 4 flat, you can go to any trailer hitch shop and they could run a 5th wire form the reverse light circuit and install a 5 flat on the truck. If you have a 5 flat on the trailer, thats telling me that you have the blocking valve on the trailer. By doing so, you shouldnt have to get out and "disconnect the braking system" Like I stated earlier, this can be dangerous if you forget to hook it back up.

Correct on the last point, if you dont have the last prong plugged in, that would only affect the abiltiy to back up (due to no signal to the blocking valve) and not braking. Just do a check on all your lights and make sure everything is in order.

Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:52 am 

Just go buy the adapter - you could probably even find it at Academy. Then you won't have to worry about any of these issues.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:50 am 
Mental Floss

Check out Advance Auto Parts, they have a 7 round adapter that has both the 4 and 5 pin-out on it. One adapter servers for both types. Last one I bought was $18. A touch more $ but you only need one adapter.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com:80/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=HOP&MfrPartNumber=47385&CategoryCode=4062A

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:22 pm 

gomes wrote:
... My 2008 h180 trailor doesnt have disc brakes but only surge brakes. When i back up hills i must get out and disengage the braking system per the dealers instruction. so just to clarify, i will only loose the ability to have reverse lights if the last prong isnt pluged in and it wont affect braking? thanks

My 180 has drum brakes as well. I have heard 2 stories on these. On one side I've been told that I need to place the pin to lock out the braking on the trailer and on the other side, I've been told that the drums will automatically not engage the brakes in reverse (Free wheeling) Does anyone know which way it actually is on these trailers?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:45 pm 

Rob wrote:
gomes wrote:
... My 2008 h180 trailor doesnt have disc brakes but only surge brakes. When i back up hills i must get out and disengage the braking system per the dealers instruction. so just to clarify, i will only loose the ability to have reverse lights if the last prong isnt pluged in and it wont affect braking? thanks

My 180 has drum brakes as well. I have heard 2 stories on these. On one side I've been told that I need to place the pin to lock out the braking on the trailer and on the other side, I've been told that the drums will automatically not engage the brakes in reverse (Free wheeling) Does anyone know which way it actually is on these trailers?

I have seen surge brake couplers that have a "lockout" pin that you need to put in the back up position. You should be able to tell if you have such a lockout device on the coupler. On the other side, drum brakes in generall are not "free wheeling" but just inherently to the design do not work well in reverse. Your tow vehicle has the power to "overcome" the brakes while in reverse for the most part.

Are you sure you have drum brakes? I didnt think they would still be using them in '07.

Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:36 pm 

Definately sure. Had them apart this year to fix a small issue... :(

When I spoke with Mike at Fourwinns, he said that they are designed not to need the pin to lock out the brakes. Dealer told me thay had disk brakes. Figure this one out... :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:04 pm 
Guppy

I have the 2006 fourwinns horizon boat & trailer package and I noticed that the blue wireon the trailer, which is to be attached to the fifth pin wasn't even connected. It was just hanging, so I e-mailed Fourwinns and got the following reply

David
The blue back up wire goes to electric brakes, that you do not have on
a 180 Horizon. I would just tape it up. The wire goes to nothing on your
trailer, just dead ends. I hope this helps.
Sincerely
Four Winds RC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:50 pm 
Shark

really... that is intersting because i found the same thing on my trailor. It was hanging one day to nothing yet all the lights worked properly. I had them fix it on my 20 hour tune up but what they probably did was just push it back into the trailor.