www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailer Light Wiring
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:55 am 
Clownfish

Hi all,
I've been around for awhile reading the posts and gathering helpful information from everyone, and I thought it's now my turn to return the favor. I've been working on my FW trailer for my 2004-180 Horizon, so these posts will be specifically for that, although it may work for others.

If your trailer lights aren't working well (low voltage, flickering, etc.), here's how I fixed my problem.

Each light has a plug connection. Most of mine were only partially plugged in and as a result, slightly corroded. I cleaned each light plug connector with Naval Jelly and Q-Tips (making sure I got inside the connectors). I then used a spray bottle of water and rinsed the connectors and blew them out with compressed air. Coated each connector a small bit of Dielectric grease and snapped the connectors back together.

The ground connection was kinda flaky. I removed the screw holding the ground wire, cleaned all parts, scraped a little paint off where the connection was, put Dielectric on everything and reassembled. This will be improved in the future.

**I also found a 4-pin connector under the horizontal trailer tubing where the vertical tubing for the winch attaches (don't know the proper names). It was pulled out more than the rest. This was probably giving me my problems. I'll probably remove the plugs and solder these together in the future. Cleaned it up like the rest of the connectors.

The light housings were removed and attachment points cleaned just like the connectors. The lights that weren't permanently sealed were taken apart and inspected. Luckily for me, no problems. This isn't an end all for lighting problems, but it worked for me.

Rick