www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:35 am 
email admin your custom rank

Don't get me wrong :? Diesel is definitely the better choice for pulling but with Cincy's application I would think that a gas would better fit the situation. Four door crew cab is definitely better than an extended cab but again it will be had at a premium. I am almost willing to bet that his existing expedition would pull the boat as is on a nice triaxle trailer for the shorter trips, add a weight distributing hitch and he would be good for the long hauls! it may take longer to get there but for a couple of hauls a year the expedition might just be the answer. As long as he watches his tranny temps (add a cooler?) and maybe some helper springs. The expedition will definitely move around the empty trailer with no hassles.

Cincy can you borrow a trailer and try a 5-10 mile haul to give yourself an idea of the expeditions capabilities? maybe it would cheaper to keep the expedition for the short hauls and then hire a marine hauler to tow your boat a few days before you arrive at the long hual location?

Sorry for all the added confusion and input but, it just seems silly to me to have a vehicle sitting around "in queue" to just tow the boat every once in a while.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:14 pm 

millhaven_nice_guy wrote:
Cincy can you borrow a trailer and try a 5-10 mile haul to give yourself an idea of the expeditions capabilities? maybe it would cheaper to keep the expedition for the short hauls and then hire a marine hauler to tow your boat a few days before you arrive at the long hual location?

Sorry for all the added confusion and input but, it just seems silly to me to have a vehicle sitting around "in queue" to just tow the boat every once in a while.

Expedition engine (v-8) would struggle a bit with that weight and the WD hitch would be a must. But let's not forget an important thing here and that is SAFETY. Everyone on this site is helpful and are good people and I would like everyone to stay as safe as possible. To do that, please make sure you get a vehicle that the manufacturer says can handle the weight. I would hate to see anyone compromise their safety in this regard. Furthermore, if an accident does occur, insurance/lawyers will have a field day if you are overloaded!

Safety first.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:53 pm 
All Night Long

Wouldn't just a 3/4 ton F-250 supercab diesel... shortbox, crewcab do the trick? Get a weight distributing hitch...

Seems like there is such thing as overkill. He could use the F250 as a daily driver... plus, have a pickup truck for hauling all the crap that homeowners get to deal with...

Plus, I think they can be had for pennies on the dollar these days...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:36 pm 

You guys have some great ideas and information. How about if we just get everyone to kick in a few bucks and I'll buy this and be done with it . . . :mrgreen:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?c ... dard=false

The way I see it, we have a couple thousand members on this board. Pony up say $5 and I'm all set. Come on, anyone?? I'll promise to share. ;)

Seriously, I actually think I should get the trailer first and use my Expy to just haul it out of the water for the occassional cleaning etc and storage this winter. I don't think I'd chance pulling 4-5k lbs over my tow capacity even with a WDH on Expy. Last thing I need is a my daily drive torn up. But if I have a trailer, I think it will be a lot easier to find someone willing to tow it for me right now. Lots of people out there advertising flat bed hauling etc but of course none have a specialized trailer that I would need.

I'd love to know if a F250 with a WDH would do the trick. That would be much easier to come by then an F350. The diesel Excusion is always an option too.

Thanks, I'll keep you posted on my research.

2007 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer

Current boat
2004 Sea Ray 290 Sun Sport Twin 350 Mags

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:47 pm 

Just a thought if you do just go the trailer route, you can check with tow truck companies in your area to see if they would haul your boat for you. I see them in my area hauling all sorts of things. Some of the marinas in the area may tow for you too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:53 pm 

I was able to pick up an 04 Chevy Avalanche 3/4 ton with 60K miles on it and an 8.1L engine for a great price. Most of the regular pickups or diesels were at least $10K more. I keep mine in the garage and use it to pull the boat. Put about 2000 miles on it last year mostly because I drove it in the winter when I didn't want to get my sports car out. You can get a good deal on these if you can find one. They are kind of rare and no longer made. Good heavy duty pickups still command a good price around here. I'm glad I don't have to use this truck as a daily driver as it doesn't like to pass a gas station.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:06 pm 
Whatever

Cincy Aquaholic wrote:
You guys have some great ideas and information. How about if we just get everyone to kick in a few bucks and I'll buy this and be done with it . . . :mrgreen:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?c ... dard=false

The way I see it, we have a couple thousand members on this board. Pony up say $5 and I'm all set. Come on, anyone?? I'll promise to share. ;)

Seriously, I actually think I should get the trailer first and use my Expy to just haul it out of the water for the occassional cleaning etc and storage this winter. I don't think I'd chance pulling 4-5k lbs over my tow capacity even with a WDH on Expy. Last thing I need is a my daily drive torn up. But if I have a trailer, I think it will be a lot easier to find someone willing to tow it for me right now. Lots of people out there advertising flat bed hauling etc but of course none have a specialized trailer that I would need.

I'd love to know if a F250 with a WDH would do the trick. That would be much easier to come by then an F350. The diesel Excusion is always an option too.

Thanks, I'll keep you posted on my research.

There is absolutely no difference between the F250 / F350 SRW on the years your looking at (as far as towing goes). The only difference is the F250 4X4 has 2" blocks on rear axle and the F350 4X4 has 4" blocks.
IMHO, towing 12k, the SUV ????? I wouldn't do any more than move around the yard/ramp. I only say that because I still recommend a goose neck trailer for that much boat.

I would gladly rent my F350 PSD to you for a ride in this new boat! :lol: :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:28 am 
Nauti Luv

Last year, I bought a used 2004 F250 with the 6.0L diesel, and it is 4wd.

Some things to note for MY application:

1. I wanted 4wd for hunting reasons also.
2. 4wd HAS helped wheel spin at the ramp when I am on a steep one, but really not needed.
3. I wanted diesel so it would last forever.
4. With what I tow and the distance I tow, the entire package is overkill.
5. It is automatic and NOT a dually, being an F250.

This overall package is way more than I will EVER need towing what I have. With that said, my trip to Arkansas last year towing my boat, a truck bed FULL of "stuff" for a weeks vacation, went 75 mph up some STEEP hills. I like a little overkill in my towing needs because I know I will always have plenty of "room" to tow more, farther, etc... My boat is about 4100 pounds with the trailer, plus whatever we had loaded in the truck (lots of stuff).

For you, I would certainly go diesel. I would also encourage you to look in the southern states for one (such as Texas) because we have no rust and there are diesel pickups EVERYWHERE here. This means you can probably get more for your money due to supply vs. demand. Like you, my truck sits in the driveway 90% of the time. It gets tow duty on Sundays only other than the occassional weekday evening trip. I tow less than 20 miles a week. Its our Home Depot/Lowes truck of course also.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:49 am 
Dolphin

8 thousand pound boat (includes trailer), f250 extendeed cab diesel (1997) no problem...someone at the gas station asked me if the truck was big enough to haul my boat, guess he doesn't know too much about the Powerstroke.

This truck is my wifes horse hauler, she pulls a big aluminum trailer with sleeping quarters - goose neck - and can haul 3 horses and gear...
It has 200,00 miles and is running strong.

I got a 1996 Powerstroke extended cab 4 wheel drive in January cab (hers is 4wd too) for $6,000 and put another $2k (at a shop) to get the maintenance up to snuff (belts, fluids, hoses and other small items) then got the brakes done and that's what I'll use most of the time to tow. Mine has 160,000 miles, just broken in for a diesel that's properly maintained.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:21 pm 
Whatever

I am on my 2nd PSD, I like them, but DO not buy a diesel thinking it will last forever. The motor will last 300,000 to 500,000 mile with proper maint. BUT the Truck will NOT, any of the big three build there products to last, hopefully as long as there warranties, that is around 100,000. Then you will be spending a lot of time and money fixing the truck.
For me, not worth it.
For others, they justify it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:38 pm 
230 Mike

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic