www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trailering Covers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:32 am 
email admin your custom rank

Sounder wrote:
I'm wondering about the trailer cover. I trailer occasionally. My boat stays in the water. I'd like to use a full cover while it's in the water, but don't want a mooring cover plus a trailer cover. Can you put the trailering cover on the boat while it's in the water? (without getting wet)

IF any of you have the mooring cover, does it have places for the cleats to poke through the cover? Could you trailer with the mooring cover, and not have a trailering cover?

Great thread!

Look at it like this. The mooring cover has no supports with it and is basically a dust cover, your best bet for an all around cover would be the trailering cover (comes with an anti-pooling support setup, poles/straps). It would be almost impossible to put the trailering cover on without getting wet though, you could get it 95% of the way, but the last bit where you have to ratchet it tight, I don't see how you could do that without getting off the boat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:37 pm 
Starfish

Hey Guys,
FourWinns just shipped my traveling cover to me and I got it. The tag on the cover says to read the instructions before using it for the first time. Guess what, no instructions came with it. It has 2 poles that it came with, one with white straps and the other with black. Hoe do I place them in the boat. And is there anything special on how to put it on. I usually do rear instructions a guy thing, but I don't want to wreck this cover due to the price I paid for it, and I'll be using it for the highways.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:13 am 
Villiage Idiot

If it's the same one as mine, the black straps go to the rear cleats, the white straps go to the front cleats (black goes to the back... sounds racist, but easy to remember). With the poles extended, straight up and down, and the strap over the windscreen, tighten up the front about as tight as you can. After that, I find the front of the cover. It's easy to locate by shape, and having the two cleat slits. Also, the FW logos should be on the side and rear. Place the slits over the cleats, and just roll it back. Make sure the vents get pulled around to the proper place (mine tend to get caught in the tower frame). Once you get to the back cleat slits and rear of the boat, walk around and fasten any velcro straps or other clips (with the tower). Tug down on the "skirt" to be sure it's straight and below the rub rail. Use the ratchets in the back to snug it up (not too tight). You should be able to still get you fingers between the cover and boat... anymore and it's too tight.

When I'm removing the cover, I loose the ratchets, undo the clips and velcro, then start at the back rolling it forward. This way, when I get to the front it is pretty easy to lift off, and start from the front when I put it back on.

Hope that helps!

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:35 am 
Starfish

Thanks Walt,
I'll try it out today. :P :P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:17 pm 
Starfish

Hey Walt,
The cover fit like a glove. I would definitely recommend the FourWinns cover to anyone looking for one. It cost me a thousand bucks with duty and shipping but I love it.
Once again Thanks for your help Walt.

P.S. if I knew how to post pictures on the site, I'd put some up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:01 pm 
Villiage Idiot

Agreed, a little pricey, but mine has held up for 3 seasons now; expect/budget to get 5 out of it. If you are storing it for a while (like the winter), I have been putting rags/towels between the straps and cusions as not to rub or stain. As far as posting pics, there are a few threads on that very subject.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:55 pm 
Nauti Luv

I am now finding myself in potential need of a trailering cover for my boat. I am very hesitant to spend big $$$ on the Four Winns cover for a couple of reasons.

1. My boat is stored in my home garage.
2. We trailer less than 5 miles to the lake.
3. In the 3 years I have had my boat, the trip I am planning is only the second long distance trip we have/will tow the boat. Its hard to justify the money for me, knowing I am going to use it "maybe" once a year. I have the regular bow and cockpit canvas, but I dont think trailering the boat at highway speeds for 200 or so miles is a safe plan.

Any ideas?

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:08 pm 
All Night Long

trailer it with the regular covers on. If you do it once in a while, you'll be fine.

It's the over, and over, and over again abuse that shortens the life expectancy of bow and cockpit covers.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:52 pm 
Nauti Luv

My biggest concern with this is that they will unsnap and blow off. What do you think?

Previous Boats:
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:06 am 
230 Mike

aguyindallas wrote:
I have the regular bow and cockpit canvas, but I dont think trailering the boat at highway speeds for 200 or so miles is a safe plan.

I do it all the time (well, when I can use the boat :evil: ). I triple check before leaving to make sure every snap is secure - the worst thing that could happen is flapping due to not getting a snap down tight. I don't think you run any risk whatsoever of them coming off. I've never towed without the covers, and those covers are the only ones I have. When we go on long towing trips it involves taking both vehicles, so we have the added security of having an observer following who could alert me to any flapping. But in 5 years it hasn't happened yet.

The only downside is that over time, your covers won't look as nice as they do when new after they've been hit by bugs, etc.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:41 am 

230 Mike wrote:
I do it all the time (well, when I can use the boat :evil: ).

Me too Mike. I hauled ours back from New Hampshire 500 miles with only those covers in place and the bimini stowed under them. It's a matter of do you want to spend the extra money on the trailering cover or not. I personally believe it is not necessary; others have to have one.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:38 am 
Villiage Idiot

I've gone both ways, and even trailered without covers. The actual trailering cover I use is best for any travel... it's easiest to install/remove, and best protection, and can still get at the fuel fill. The snap-ons work well, and are typically used when I'm camping, and/or keeping the boat on the water over night and want it covered there, since the cleats are accessible when covered. I rarely go without, unless just a short distance to air-out. It kills my gas milage to trailer without being covered at all, and my carpet tends to come unsnapped.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:28 am 
Nauti Luv

Walt wrote:
I've gone both ways, and even trailered without covers. The actual trailering cover I use is best for any travel... it's easiest to install/remove, and best protection, and can still get at the fuel fill. The snap-ons work well, and are typically used when I'm camping, and/or keeping the boat on the water over night and want it covered there, since the cleats are accessible when covered. I rarely go without, unless just a short distance to air-out. It kills my gas milage to trailer without being covered at all, and my carpet tends to come unsnapped.

Walt - my problem with trailering uncovered for long distance, is similar. I had a snap from my snap in carpet actually pull out of the deck and it was a constant battle to keep the bench seat cooler lid cushion from flying open.

Previous Boats:
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:10 am 
Starfish

I spent alot of time doing my research on the boat covers, and yes the FW is alot of money but it's well worth the investment in my opinion. I think you can buy it in the states for around $850.00, for us in Canada I had to pay duty and shipping and it came to $1050.00. On the highway it's great, I've stopped a couple of times on my 3 hour drive and no problems at all. Just remember that the fit is the most important thing so you don't get it flapping on you that will cause more damage.
Just my 2 cents on this topic.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:51 am 

I have towed thousands of miles with just the snap on covers and never had a problem. About the only thing I have found is that the bungee cord bits at the back rub on the sundeck cushion. Glued some bits of felt on the inside of the plastic brackets and that seems to have solved it.

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next