www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:15 pm 
Goldfish

On my way to the lake today...25 mile trip and WHAMO!!! tire goes away on the trailer :x So I get my spare off and put it on. :D Then after getting caught in a thunderstorm on the lake :? We start back home...and guess what..Yup..WHAMO!!!! The other tire goes out :x

Needless to say..I will never buy that brand of tires again...So ya better go check your trailer...If you got Carlisle tires....Get em off.....

Tires are about 2 years old and showed no signs of wear at all.. And I have a single axle with a Horizon 190 on it..So I wouldn't think it was overloaded...

So go check those tires... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:45 pm 
230 Mike

Unfortunately this is a well documented problem. The very 1st thing I did after taking delivery of my boat was changed the tires. My local Good Year gave me credit worth about 1 Marathon towards the purchase of a set.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 6:24 am 

Found this.....

February 27, 2006

Two Michigan men are suing a maker of tires for recreational vehicles they say are defective and pose a safety risk. Jeffrey Hunsaker, of Byron Center, and Dennis Drooger, of Holland, filed the suit against Aiken, S.C.-based Carlisle Tire & Wheel Co. last January in Kalamazoo. Their lawyers asked U.S. District Judge Richard Enslen for class-action status to allow them to open the lawsuit to Carlisle tire owners as far back as 1999.

The defective tires "impose economic losses on consumers, cause other property damage to their vehicles, and create a major inconvenience to recreational travelers," the plaintiffs' lawyer, argued in a court filing. "Worse yet, the Carlisle tires at issue also present a significant safety risk."

Last edited by ifourwinns on Sun May 28, 2006 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:42 am 
Mental Floss

I haven't had luck with Carlisles as well. However, it seems that Marathons can have issues too. A friend just changed two that were only about a yr old.

I'm hoping Carlisles are better as the new trailer has 7 - 245/75R16 tires. So far they trailer very nicely and via the IR thermeter run cool (sidewall temps)

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:50 am 
Goldfish

Found this on the Goodyears.

http://www.epinions.com/Goodyear_Marathon_Radial_Trailer_Utility_Tire/display_~reviews
http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/marathon_gen_info_032806.pdf

Hmmmmmm...I need tires..lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:14 am 
Guppy

Does anyone have any other recommendations? I just checked out my Carlisles and they look like they are weathered even though they are out of the sun 90% of the time and have less than 250 miles on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:39 am 
Mental Floss

Interesting reviews and info on the Goodyear site.

I'v e never seen a trailer tire rated at over 65 mph. I looked and did a lot of research when all 6 of the original Carlisles had defects. Carlisle does stand behind there product, they paid for 6 new tires of a different brand.

I cringe everytime I'm on the expressway and get passed by some one towing a trialer doing well over 70 mph.

I keep it at 60 or so, never over 65. My mileage goes down pretty quickly over 60 mph. Plus, all I'm going is hurrieng to the ramp to wait in line! Not worth the safety of my family.

Post subject: Carlise Tires
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:22 pm 
Tadpole

Just had to replace two carlise tires. Had one blow out running at 70 MPH, felt other starting to go. Carlise has two tread patterns, the Radial ST is the junk tire and the Radial Trail is the good one. Had two different tire guys tell me the same thing on the tires. Carlise is owned by Goodyear. Have run the Radial Trail and I haven't had a problem.

Post subject: Re: Carlise Tires
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:01 pm 
Mental Floss

bilgo4 wrote:
Just had to replace two carlise tires. Had one blow out running at 70 MPH, felt other starting to go. Carlise has two tread patterns, the Radial ST is the junk tire and the Radial Trail is the good one. Had two different tire guys tell me the same thing on the tires. Carlise is owned by Goodyear. Have run the Radial Trail and I haven't had a problem.

Carslile is not owned by Goodyear.

Quote:
The History of Carlisle Companies Inc.
Carlisle Companies Incorporated has a long and proud history which began in 1917, when Charles S. Moomy opened Carlisle Tire and Rubber Company in Carlisle, Pennsylvania to sell inner tubes to Montgomery Ward and Company. With thirty employees working ten-hour days, Carlisle Tire and Rubber Company began producing automobile inner tubes. The Company continued to grow and prosper through the 1920s.

With the Stock Market crash of 1929 and the beginning of the Depression, Carlisle Tire and Rubber, like most other companies during that era, found itself in a desperate struggle to stay afloat. Near the end of the 1930s, in order to avoid bankruptcy, Moomy turned all of his common and preferred stock over to the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia which by then, as the largest shareholder, had control of the Company.

The end of the depression and the beginning of World War II forced changes upon the rubber industry. Japan cut off 95% of the natural rubber supply from the East Indies, forcing Carlisle, along with other companies, to seek other sources. In December 1945, Carlisle began to manufacture inner tubes using synthetic rubber.

Carlisle Tire and Rubber Company was purchased in 1943 by Pharis Tire and Rubber Company for $330,000. But significant losses followed and in 1949, the Board of Directors decided to liquidate the company. All Carlisle stock was distributed to the Pharis stockholders and the company was officially renamed Carlisle Corporation. During the 1950s and 1960s Carlisle began to acquire a variety of other companies diversifying their product mix to include roofing materials, insulated wire and baby food jar sealant rings. By the end of the 1960s, Carlisle was producing aerospace and electronic products, recreational tires, automotive accessories and brake linings as well as other divergent products.

Since that time until today Carlisle’s diversification efforts, both through product line extensions within its core businesses and through acquisitions, has continued to build a strong decentralized company that builds market leadership and creates enduring competitive advantage, thereby adding value for our shareholders. 2005 was another year of progress for Carlisle, recording an 11% increase in sales over the prior year and a 35% increase in earnings per share from continuing operations:

Carlisle’s 2005 Results

Sales: $ 2,209,610
Net income: $ 106,365
Earnings per share (diluted):
Income from continuing operations $ 4.29
Net Income $ 3.42
Dividends per share: $ 0.96

Additionally, 2005 was the 29th consecutive year that Carlisle increased its dividends to shareholders.

In addition, you are asking for trouble running trailer tires (any trailer tire) at over 65 mph. That is all any trailer tire is rated for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:59 am 
Sting Ray

I have had Carsliles on my trailer for 6 years now and just had to replace my first one, and it was my fault. I didnt realize the brakes had locked on one wheel and i dragged for about 20 feet which that blew right through tire. That being said that is not good what would have happened if i had to stop abruptly on the road? It would take more that 20 feet to sotop the rig at 60mph. I have since replaced both tires on that axel with Load Star.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:37 pm 
email admin your custom rank

While I muswt say I an not a real fan of Carlisle tire I have had them on my trailer now for six years without issues. This is a FLORIDA galvanized trailer and has seen thousands of miles -- the latest a day trip to Key Largo of 300 plus miles through interstate construction. My tires are almost fully worn and I will not replace with them with Carlisle -- which came on my trailer from the mfgr. -- I do intend to use Goodyear marathon -- but to say that all Carlisle tires are junk is just not correct --

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:00 am 
Sting Ray

While reading over previous topics I ran across this one regarding Carlisle tires and found it to be interesting since the trailer for the boat I recently pruchased has these. I inspected the tires when I purchased the boat and they seem to be in great shape. The trailer is a basic 2007 single axle Four Winns (or whoever makes it for them).

On my list of things to do during the off season is to add a spare. I was planning on adding the matching tire and Four Winns steel wheel.

Now I am wondering if I should put all new tires of a different brand?

Are folks still having issues with these tires or is it one of those deals where these things are going to happen regardless of tire brand?

Any feedback is appreicated.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:05 pm 
Villiage Idiot

I've had Carlysle's (ST's) on ALL of my trailers, spanning about 15 years now without any problems to speek of. I will continue to use them based soley on my own experience. I do, and have always over-inflated my tires. Typically to 45 psi (max rated of 55 psi), not based on the link above, but only because I know a tire rolls easier, and potentially gets me better economy. I've had side-walls start to crack from weathering over 4-5 years, but a healthy dose of armorall from time to time helps keep that in check.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:35 am 
Nauti Luv

When I read this threads, I think I need to run out and buy new tires for my trailer. I have completed 2 seasons with my boat/trailer and no trouble yet. I am probably a low mile driver compared to most though.

1. I have taken only 1 trip to NW Arkansas, at 70mph most of the way though. 800 mile round trip
2. I live about 5 miles from my regular ramp
3. Boat (and trailer) are stored in the garage so the only time they are in the weather is when we are going to and from the ramp and while sitting at the ramp.

I make sure the pressure is right and to date, no weather checking or tread problems.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:26 am 
email admin your custom rank

I hear your pain. Here was mine! Carlisle tire blew out on the Howard Franklin Bridge in Tampa. Right at the top. Rims were crap so I drove it off and ruined the rim (excuse to get nice Aluminum ones :D ) Picked up two new aluminum rims without Carlisle tires. The Carlisle tires had good tread, almost looked new, when it blew.

Guess I forgot to take some shots with the new rims!