www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:38 pm 
Guppy

I have a 1995 240 Horizon I got used and it came with a galvanized Load Rite trailer with rollers. Of course I was bummed not to get the matching painted FW trailer that makes the boat look so good. Even though I know that a 1995 painted trailer would be needing a lot of work by now. Still, you can't beat the look of the matching trailer.

Anyway, I have a few questions about roller trailers for this boat. Here are my issues:

1) I feel like boats on rollers sit up higher than boat on bunks. Is that true? When I look around at other boats on trailers in my marina, my boat looks like a giant by comparison. It would be nice to have a lower profile when trailering.

2) There is always the problem with boats not being fully supported while on rollers. With the heft of my Four Winns, is there any long-term damage to the hull?

3) I feel like boats are more stable and more prone to stay in place when trailered on bunks vs rollers.

The one pro of rollers in my book is that I much prefer to load onto them as opposed to bunks. I do not like driving onto the trailer and much prefer to winch on. I also have a chance of using ramps in the future that are somewhat shallow, which would make loading onto bunks more difficult.

Anyway, just wanted to get some ideas from you all and see if anyone else is using rollers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:14 pm 
email admin your custom rank

There is really nothing wrong with a properly adjusted and maintained roller trailer...
To answer your questions...
yes the boat usually sits higher up on a roller trailer...
As far as support, as long as the trailer has enough rollers for the length and weight of the boat there should be no problem with the hull...my old '88 is on a Load Rite roller with 24 rollers and the hull is fine....
As far as the boat being secure on the trailer...well I never unhook the safety chain until the stern of the boat is in the water so that's a non-issue
Where I am there is a 7 foot change from high to low tide...there is no way you could use a bunk trailer on a shallow ramp...
And finally....there is no possible reason I'd ever want a painted trailer for a boat....here in salt water it's either galvanized or aluminum.....a painted boat trailer to me is just a maintenance headache and not going to last here at all...my galvanized trailer is 15 years old and when I rebuilt it 5 years ago I replaced the axle....all the ubolts...added brakes....longer roller bars and more rollers...and it's still going strong with no rust....

I can say that a Load Rite is a good quality trailer and their support is good too....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II